Tetra Safe Start Really WORKS!!!!

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'm so damn impressed I just had to share with everyone that Tetra Safe Start REALLY WORKS!!!!

I started a system with abut 100 gallons, filled the tank and used Amquel Plus, let it run for a week just because I didn't have time to go get fish until the following weekend. Yesterday, I finally had time so I went and bought 25 Rummy Nose Tetra (I know not the best choice to cycle a tank with but I was desperate and the kid at the store talked me into it). I got home and dumped a bottle of Tetra Safe Start in the tank and let it run for an hour. I then started to Drip the Rummy Nose because the stores PH was about 6.4 and mine is at about 8. It took me 7 hours of dripping to get the PH's to match and then I released the Rummynose. Two of them didn't look so good in the bag already. I fed them and about half of them ate. I woke up this morning and lost two Rummynose which wasn't a surprise to me because two didn't look like they were going to make it. I tested the water for Amonia before I left for work this morning and had a reading of zero. I though well damn, that is a pretty small amount of fish for 100 gallons of water so I went and bought a baby convict and baby red devil to throw in also (don't worry, this is a multi tank system so they're not in with the Rummynose).

I just checked the water right now and I got Zero Amonia, Zero Nitrite but 5 ppm of Nitrate!!!! I was truly shocked :eek:!!! I wasn't even going to test the Nitrate at first but then thought ahhh what the hell, might as well. Holly shiznet was I surprised!!! Tank cycled over night, cycled so quick I never even got any reading of Amonia or Nitrite. I've used Bio Spira before and it took about a week for it to work, I can't believe this literally worked over night, hell maybe even faster than over night, who knows?

BTW... All the Rummynose look great, strong color and all are swimming up, grabbing food from the surface (minus the two that were goners in the morning)

Reactions: Oxymus

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
lol opening up a can of worms, lot of people on here argue strongly that it doesn't work; personally the safe/quick start stuff has always worked for me

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Never used it. I can vouch that Dr Tim's One and Only does work and is truly the bacteria that forms in aquariums and not the bacteria from treatment plants. You can cycle with or without fish.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I don't have experiences with safe start but I can say Fluval Biological Enhancer works, its never fail me with new tank setup, I just fill water then use prime, wait for 30 mins then add fish and the BB stuff, no fish loss!

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have used it before with success aswell. Alot of people seem to be on the fence they just have to try it. I use cycle start for ponds tho get more product for less money and it is the exact same thing( same difference as buying a liter of oil rather then 5 liters)

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Well man I did it with my pup tank. Mind you I threw in a filet of tilapia and some snails to build up the bb for a week everything checked out as a cycled tank from day one. I'm not an idiot I made sure it was done safely.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
100 gallon is a larger system so parameters wernt that bad. If you try the same on a smaller level lets say 30 gallon. You notice what everyone is talking about.
Okay, well if you look at it like that, there's always a way to crash a system by adding in too many fish. I didn't have expectations for you to be able to load up your tank on day one but to have bacteria that will take your tank from Ammonia to Nitrate over night is pretty damn impressive even though the bio load is not huge for the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store