Tetras feel too safe

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Hmm yeah Tiger barb is on the right track. A friend suggested red tail shark. But I want to keep the tank american themed so cyprinids are mostly out of the question. Maybe some south american killies.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
When you say "a bunch of different species", do you mean, singles or couples of each species?
I have about 24 neons, 12 yellow phantoms, 12 lemon tetras, 3 female Rhoadsia altipinna, a couple emperors, and like 3 or 4 pristella tetras. I don't actually have the rummynose yet, I'm taking the four from my brother's 29 because he said they don't like how high his flow is in there. And thinking about ordering another 6 or 12 rummynose online.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would say some sort of active dwarf cichlid could accomplish this. I wouldnt be scared of a ram, but maybe a red jewel cichlid or similar would school them up.

You could also try a predatory bottom feeder. A single pictus or similar could pose a big enough threat, but may end up snacking on a neon or rummynose here and there (who cares lol). I do this in my tank with lampeye tetras and the smaller ones seem to disappear over time. Ive always wanted to try a hoplo cat with smaller tetras, heard they are not so predatory.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I had a tank for several years with a huge school of blood fins and a pair of marble angles .
The angels would pick the smaller ones off every once in a while.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
These had no threats.
Swam together good enough for me
wow -- maybe I should be doing one big school of the same species. Is that what you had?

Reactions: Jexnell

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
how about a pike kilifish? that should keep them moving. But, you'll have to have some guppie fry for it to survive.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
how about a pike kilifish? that should keep them moving. But, you'll have to have some guppie fry for it to survive.
They need brackish.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
The reason why the fish aren't schooling is because they aren't schooling fish. I don't think that you are getting.
Only schooling tetra you'll have are the rummynose. The rest are shoaling. They'll be in a group, but dispersed across the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store