Texas Cichlid Tankmates in 150 gallon

zinten777

Feeder Fish
Sep 16, 2017
Just finished cycling my 150 gallon, added a 5" Texas and a 4" Paratilapia Polleni. The Texas immediately started beating up the Polleni, so I returned it to my LFS. The Texas now has the whole tank to himself, and I'm wondering what other cichlids would work with it. Could I try a Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, Festae? If possible a Parachromis species would be very cool. Just any advice on what you think could work.

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Just finished cycling my 150 gallon, added a 5" Texas and a 4" Paratilapia Polleni. The Texas immediately started beating up the Polleni, so I returned it to my LFS. The Texas now has the whole tank to himself, and I'm wondering what other cichlids would work with it. Could I try a Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, Festae? If possible a Parachromis species would be very cool. Just any advice on what you think could work.
I think you would be okay with a green terror & jack dempsey, perhaps a loiselle of similar size, I would rearrange the tanks decor before introducing them & make sure you have plenty of caves and hiding spots

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Depends on your individual texas and what he will except. Trial and error with a divider at hand.
Personally I have never had one play nice except with a mate.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Depends on your individual texas and what he will except. Trial and error with a divider at hand.
Personally I have never had one play nice except with a mate.
Damn looks my Texas is a wussy :D. My angelfish beats him up for fun.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I think you would be okay with a green terror & jack dempsey, perhaps a loiselle of similar size, I would rearrange the tanks decor before introducing them & make sure you have plenty of caves and hiding spots
I think you should go with a green terror, or a couple of convicts or salvinis.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
If you trickle feed in cichlids to 'see what happens' your Texas will be able to isolate at destroy anything that you put in... or you get a fish that's so anti social I will destroy your Texas. Basically you would be better served to get a number of middle to large aggressive cichlids and put them in all at once. That with a decour change around will spread the aggression and allow territories to be re-established... I did it and I have successfully kept some nasty cichlids together quite peacefully.

Disclaimer! This can be a risky option if it backfires.

Reactions: Toiletcar

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because your Herichthys is already a 5" mature adult, it probably sees the entire tank as its own private territory, so it may be difficult to add any other cichlid at this point. If you want cichlids to share a community, it is often best to buy a number of youngsters, allow them to grow up together, and figure things out non-lethally.
Also consider, that in its natural habitat, if it is a true Texas (H cyanoguttatus) it does not share its habitat with any other cichlid species. That should tell you something about its life style, and success its in driving out, or "not" allowing other species to share its area.
Even the more southerly species H carpintus, only shares habitat with very resilient individuals.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
If your attached to your texas and you want other fish,I would try none cichlid tank mates.
Large goodieds come to mind as a good option. I would add a group of around 12.
Duanes pretty much summed it up,not the easiest of cichlids to get to play nice.
I would definitely not try green terrors as they have a similar colour and would be seen as competition. I don't think a Gt would last long.
If you want a cichlid community, I suggest it's time to rehome your texas and have a rethink and add them all as juveniles.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree with the points Stanz and Duanes made. You may have more trouble than it is worth trying to get your texas to accept a community.
I would say though, that you haven't given it a "correct" try. Two adult cichlids is never going to work; one will be dominant and the subdominant one will be bullied to death, because the dominant one sees the tank as his territory. And there is nothing else to distract him from the subdominant one, so the bullying is relentless.
If you wanted to try again to add cichlids with him in the 150, I would get no less than three, and make sure none of them look similar to the texas. Salvini, convict, and jack Dempsey for example. I would get the three cichlids all around 3", so the texas does not feel his dominance is challenged. I would add some large swordtails/mollies/etc at the same time as well. The hope is that the texas would accept the group of smaller fish as subordinates, and even if he does bully them, he will be distracted in three different directions, so nobody will get it too bad. I would also re-arrange the entire décor as much as you can, to hopefully confuse the texas into thinking it is no longer his tank. I would also keep a divider on hand, with cichlids there are no guaruntees and this could all still not work.
Another option would be to get a female for him and a school of livebearers; much easier to do and would be nice

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
....... and while doing all this keep in mind that the bacteria that will be keeping this tank stable is at a very sensitive stage. (just cycled)

Reactions: jeaninel
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store