The 1500 gallon tank is gone. Design flaws and issues after seeing it apart.

Rmelz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Nope
Oops, it looks like Leather already asked you that question in your heating thread..sorry..

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Hey there VL,
I am suprised that a fish could make a hole in the cement sheet coated with Epoxy.
This is making me rethink having gravel or rock as a substrate that make scratch and damage the pond armor coating.
I was thinking of using a water proof cement board that they use for wet areas and hope this may work well.
I spoke to Butch and he belives that I can use pond armor and fiber glass for the seams which I think should make a big difference.
GL with the 2700 and your leak test mate.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Yes, there were 2 dents in the cement board that matched the shape of the scrapes on the IDs nose.

That area may have been weakend by the same splash issues I say on teh other areas. Water may have been splashed over the edge and caused the cement board to pop away from the plywood making a void that was able to produce the hole.

Once it started leaking I am sure it caused more damage because the bottom was covered and I didn't know it was leaking right away.

Was the mold on the lower right of the base from the leak that your ID caused? Otherwise that was an amazing tank, although I'm sure the 2700 will surpass it in every way.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Great of you to be open about what you would do different. What is the difference between the pond armor and the Max ACR? TIA for puttingup with the newb question!

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Not sure what the difference is between the two.

MAX ACR is about $80 for a 1.5 gallons and Pond Armor is $80 for a quart.
Max ACR is also thinner so the coverage might not be the same for the same thickness.

Might be something worth investigating for a side by side comparrison.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
Not sure what the difference is between the two.

MAX ACR is about $80 for a 1.5 gallons and Pond Armor is $80 for a quart.
Max ACR is also thinner so the coverage might not be the same for the same thickness.

Might be something worth investigating for a side by side comparrison.
I'm pretty sure both are 100% solids and recommend a dry mil thickness of 10 mils for waterproofing tanks. Coverage should be the same. PA might be better for putting on a single, thick coat while ACR is probably better at wetting out fiberglass.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Wow, that sucks. Seems like you just built it the other day. GL on the 2700, making that should be a breeze now...after making this tank and learning from your mistakes.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Yes, there were 2 dents in the cement board that matched the shape of the scrapes on the IDs nose.

That area may have been weakend by the same splash issues I say on teh other areas. Water may have been splashed over the edge and caused the cement board to pop away from the plywood making a void that was able to produce the hole.

Once it started leaking I am sure it caused more damage because the bottom was covered and I didn't know it was leaking right away.
Man those ID sharks must be some serious fish!!
What do you think of pond shield and gravel? Is gravel vaccing going to scrape off the Pond Shield?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store