The BIG Reveal - Chitala lopis

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Awesome, I’d love to see pictures. It appears most chitala reach sexual maturity around 20 inches. Females can be vented by viewing and egg tube similar to cichlids.

my fish currently range from 5-16” and all get along
Ill have to inspect them a bit closer, appreciate the venting info. I’ll get some pics up also. Gotta be gettin close as the 2 largest are 18-20” and the small guy is 16”.

Reactions: SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Despite claims that breeding is impossible, if you have the space it can be done. They prefer acidic water for spawning which coincides with heavy rainfall. A pair will attach their eggs to wood.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Despite claims that breeding is impossible, if you have the space it can be done. They prefer acidic water for spawning which coincides with heavy rainfall. A pair will attach their eggs to wood.
Thanks again, mine are currently in a 10’x3’ 500 with 3 tinfoils. Been debating moving them to a 5’x3’ solo. Not sure if its big enough tho. Might squeak by as enough for them lol… no deco or anything, ill have to add some wood and see if i can get lucky.

Reactions: SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Thanks again, mine are currently in a 10’x3’ 500 with 3 tinfoils. Been debating moving them to a 5’x3’ solo. Not sure if its big enough tho. Might squeak by as enough for them lol… no deco or anything, ill have to add some wood and see if i can get lucky.
They spawn them in 6by3foot tanks so I’d imagine this will work

Reactions: wednesday13

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
are they still here, heard they are already extinct in indonesia but in malaysia there are plenty of them
They have been rediscovered in their type locality/throughout Indonesia, there was a mixup in identifying C. hypselonotus Vs. C. lopis, hypselonotus is the rarer of the Indonesian species when it was previously thought to be most common

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store