The Camera Thread

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
I recently upgraded from the Nikon D5000, to the D7000. It's a great camera. I'm experimenting with the SB 600 and using it off camera, with the Nikon Creative Lighting System. I've got much to learn. Here are a few rookie pics.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
This is a 5D mkII with a 180mm EF f/3.5L Macro USM Lens. Havent taken any succesful fish photos as i need an off camera flash unit which im getting soon.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
well i couldnt edit my message so here are the shots some haqve extension tubes used in them. all theese photos are as shot no editing was used.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I like the diversity of the 180mm i can take good landscape and nature (non macro) shots while still being able to get 1:1

Getting a few lenses soon. mp e65mm Macro lens with up to 5:1 and a 24-105mm or similar in the L series. but first i want to get a couple of off camera flashes

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Shadowraven;5017656; said:
New to this forum, but have a question for you 3dees.

I normally just use bright external lights (worklights or some other) to take pictures of the fish. I have gotten some good pictures this way, but not consistently.

I assume you are shining the light down into the tank to avoid reflections from the glass. Will this also avoid the washed color you can sometimes get? If not what can you do to avoid that? Also just how many flashes are you typically using?

I always see pictures of tanks with bright, vibrant colors and that is what I'm trying to achieve.
yes reflection off glass is one reason but also introducing flash from the side results in the look of a fish tank out in the sun. introducing it from the top makes a much nicer photo. using worklights are a grerat alternative to flash however fish will hide more. whereas having a flash witha few flouros make the fish more comfortable and they will swim out in the open and right under the flash.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Need some help finding a nice camera, looking to find one on a budget I just don't know what kind of stats I should be looking for as this is mainly going to be for getting pics of my fish. My camera on my phone isn't cutting it as they don't like to sit still.

So if someone could point me in the right direction with what I want to be looking for and what brands to stay away from, that would be awesome.

thunderridge127

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cottonwood, Az.
I was wondering is anybody using the new Panasonic Luminex 14.1 mp with 16x zoom ? It is a point & shoot digital camera with a macro setting. I know DLSR is the way to go but I am looking for a good all around camera that will also take really good fish photos. I can buy this camera with everything for about $400.00. With a good DLSR that will cover the price of a good lens.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I was wondering is anybody using the new Panasonic Luminex 14.1 mp with 16x zoom ? It is a point & shoot digital camera with a macro setting. I know DLSR is the way to go but I am looking for a good all around camera that will also take really good fish photos. I can buy this camera with everything for about $400.00. With a good DLSR that will cover the price of a good lens.
$400 for a P&S? I'd never spend that much. You can get a used Nikon or Canon DSLR for that price, and it will better than a P&S any day of the week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store