The dream tiger???

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
some love it but not my cup of tea. hahaha... different strokes for different folks.

andysmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
uk
I think you should call it marmite.
you either love it or hate it

i think it looks strange and not the way its supposed to look so some may say it is deformed but each to their own.

lincolngoh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Singapore Serangoon Gdn
Awesome. Just be careful with it. Shortbody fishes tend to be more fragile and short lived as their internal organs are more cramped. Internal damage can occur more easily during transport and attacks by other fishes.

sazhar

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2009
Yorkville, IL
krichardson;5125336; said:
How and why is this done?
I believe the short body it is a genetic mutation. It happens in all types of fish, pbass, bichirs, sa and ca cichlids etc. You may have hunderds of normal fry in a batch and only one or two if any could have the mutation. Which means in some fish thay are very rare, and therefore some people collect them. In nature these guys would obviously be at a disadvantage and would not likely live a full life or reproduce. Their only real chance to have a long life is in home aquaria. And I don't think there is intentional breeding to get shoty body dats going on. It is hard enough, if not impossible, to get normal dats to breed in captivity, let alone getting a short body dat to breed. Some species that have this mutation that are easily bred can produce a higher likelyhood of getting this mutation and that is where manmade "designer" fish come from.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Looks completely deformed and one ugly fish!

But hey each to their own.

andysmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
uk
Just out of interest TITAN POWER you said "It's my dream to own this tiger, now I can sleep soundly" did you like it because of the way it looks and it is not like your normal dat or did you think the fish looked normal?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
@andysmith thanks for taking the time to post an explanation....It's one thing for one of these to be born this way and to be collected from the wild.They probably wouldn't live very long anyway...quite another for whomever who would be responsible for messing around in some lab with the sole intention of getting this body shape as a result, which is what I suspected was going on here....Whether they are man made or not,I can imagine the price for them is quite high.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store