THE FATE OF THE ASIAN AROWANA IN THE HANDS OF THE AQUARIUM INDUSTRY

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
with regards to the gene pool, they are currenlty mapping out asian arowana dna with the efforts of Qan Hu arowana farm and the National Singapore University. once its mapped out, improvements are sure to come!

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
i haven't read all of this yet BUT, they do breed in the aquarium, i've seen movies of the actual breeding, male picking up eggs and even one of the fry swimming in and out of the male's mouth. now back to reading it.

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
i haven't read all of this yet BUT, they do breed in the aquarium, i've seen movies of the actual breeding, male picking up eggs and even one of the fry swimming in and out of the male's mouth. now back to reading it.
seen this long time ago but we never know if they actually hatched or just died in the parents mouth. it was still a great clip of one of my favorite fish i probably would never get to own.

great article and nice reading to pass time at work... :grinyes:

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
thanks

Thos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2007
Sydney
Doesn't selective breeding to produce so-called 'quality' arowanas actually deplete the gene pool? Look what happened to pure-bred dogs like German Shepherds and their leg/back problems.

manbai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Malaysia
very informative...nice one!!!!! many thnks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store