The fish are here, pay up or they'll be gone! 07/27/2013

Kent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2006
urbandale Iowa
we can do a head count of 12" clown loaches here. Like I said, probably less than a handful around. Sure there may be some that are not on the internet, but also many people overestimate the size of their clown loaches. 8-10" are seen every now and then, 12" are almost rare to non, and over 13-14" is extremely rare, even in the wild. Back in the days, there were 15-16" ones, that looked like giant carps.

As for hoarding, you could hoard all you want, if you keep it for 10 years, you may get it to a good 10-12 inches. They're not known for growing fast.
I have a clown that's around 8-9" , I've been growing it since march of 1990. lol I've only seen 1 in the 10-12" range.

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
Wes is the man period!!!
The last time Intermedia's were avail to the public was several years ago and the importer (riverwonders) is no longer in business after he got busted importing illegal fish to Cali.What a shame,on the other hand Wes got my vote for the fish hall of fame :)
He got busted, but question is what happened to the exporter?

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Here is another comparison analysis exercise for you fish heads:

do the math silently in your head:

How many red arowana do you think there are in the US? How about in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Japan, combined or separate? Probably more than you can add in your head right? How much do arowanas sell for still? and for the past decade? 500-5000 each right? Google alone, the numbers will overwhelm the latter two combined

How many clown loaches in the 12" range do you recall seeing, in the US, planet earth or planet internet, added together? Google for pictures even.

How many cichla intermedia do you recall seeing? In the US, in Germany, world, Japan, all added together?

Datnoid pulcher, so we think its extinct in the wild, and captive stocks are slowly dwindling over the years, prices going up, again google it, how many are there do you think? Probably more than your GED math can calculate, still.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I don't understand the debate about the clown loaches. A fish is worth what someone will pay for it. If there are members that really want a foot long Clown loach, they will either pay what Wes wants for them, or he'll keep them. Why argue?!

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
I don't understand the debate about the clown loaches. A fish is worth what someone will pay for it. If there are members that really want a foot long Clown loach, they will either pay what Wes wants for them, or he'll keep them. Why argue?!
its ok, I just like to help people understand the hobby, the demand and supply. Sometimes I like to help people see things from a different perspective, and that goes with many other topics in life as well. Cheers!

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I appreciate the information Wes. it's nice to learn about this stuff. The other side of the hobby (from my aspect)

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I absolutely side with Wes on this one. I'd kill for a 12'' CL, if I had the tank space I'd be breaking the bank right now for SURE.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Always a learning experiance when you get in new fish Wes lol. As usually crazy rare stuff at very reasonable prices. ( still out of my price range usually but non the less I live vicariously threw your amazing imports!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store