The fish of Dubai's desert lakes - part 2 underwater footage

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thanks, Matty.

If you had told me those pictures were from Arizona it would have been perfectly believable because it looks just the same. Even the old buildings.

I thought we were looking at some ancient adobe ruins, until I saw the street lamp and realized that these places are still occupied after maybe two thousand years.

It's always interesting to see modern technology rub up against ancient civilization.

Reactions: mattybecks

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I agree with oreochromis tanganicae and for a second it looked like one or two very slender vieja melanura

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
I would concur with Oreochromis mossambicus.

I grew up in Dubai. There used to be a pretty large reservoir out in the Hatta area, but it had sadly dried up when I had last visited the area around 15 years ago. But back in the 90s it was a pretty large body of water and was stocked with tilapia - both the WT grey variety and a red strain. I managed to net some some of the red fry and maintained a colony in small pond in my backyard for a few years. Amazingly resilient fish.

Dubai’s a completely different place now but your posts make me nostalgic.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thanks, Matty.

If you had told me those pictures were from Arizona it would have been perfectly believable because it looks just the same. Even the old buildings.

I thought we were looking at some ancient adobe ruins, until I saw the street lamp and realized that these places are still occupied after maybe two thousand years.

It's always interesting to see modern technology rub up against ancient civilization.
Oh really that's interesting. I didn't realize Arizona had places like these.
I actually stayed in the place above for two nights, it is quite far away from the major cities and towns, which is why I think the water was still so clean and you could drink from it. It is a really old little village, occupied by the families that have stayed there for generations. They get their income from travelers like myself who like to stay in these far out, rural places. It was not 5 star at all haha, but that's exactly what I look for. Living with the locals, eating with them (they killed some goats for our food, as it was Eid.) and we got to fire off some really old rifles from what looked world war 2 era stuff. The friendliest, most welcoming people.

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
So I guess the big question is, how did they get there?
As Ulu mentioned in the post below yours, yes they were all stocked on purpose. Im not sure not all the fish would not have been put there by the authorities (although some might have), Im fairly certain there were a few that were dumped by irresponsible aquariusts too. Judging by the Koi and goldfish I have seen in there in past years during the winter.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store