The Next Step for my Osphronemus

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
This tank is still going strong. The garra and crossocheilus have grown significantly and I have added my pristolepis marginatus to this tank (it was having a dispute with my smaller osphronemus). The gourami is extremely personable and seems to be able to recognize certain people. I have made a point of feeding lightly and providing large water changes.

Reactions: Tilapia Guy

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
This tank is still going strong. The garra and crossocheilus have grown significantly and I have added my pristolepis marginatus to this tank (it was having a dispute with my smaller osphronemus). The gourami is extremely personable and seems to be able to recognize certain people. I have made a point of feeding lightly and providing large water changes.
It is worth noting that I have successfully been able to keep nitrate below 30ppm, I find this to be impressive with the sheer bioload in this tank. I feel like my inclusion of an aquascape with 'live rocks' collected from a creek have allowed for this. If you take a second to look closely into the tank, you can often see little critters and biofilm on the rocks and I am sure this helps with nutrient breakdown.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
One of my favourite things about Osphronemus is the fact that they (usually) allow for a tank containing a nice big fish combined with much smaller ones without worrying about predation. In most cases that only works when the small fish are so small that they are beneath the notice of the big predator; I like the mix in your tank with those blue gouramis and loaches. If the Osphro were actually a predator, he'd consider those other fish big enough to be worthwhile eating.

I like your notion of fresh-water "live rock" as well. The typical reaction that we read about all too often, when some tiny critter finds its way into a tank, is something like "OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS THING?? How do I kill it? I can't bare to even think that I am sharing the planet with such disgusting creepy-crawlies! HELP!!!" I always wonder why people like that ever got started in the aquarium hobby in the first place.

But, although I like the idea of bio-diversity in a tank, and I agree that those little feral hitchhikers probably assist in the breakdown of some waste and missed food crumbs, I doubt that they contribute anything to reduced nitrates; they may very well assist in and speed up the initial breakdown, making the nutrients more easily available to bacteria. If anything, that would speed up nitrate accumulation.

You'd need a large mass of algae or plants to utilize that nitrate to any noticeable extent, and that would be pretty difficult with a hungry Osphro in the tank, unless you have room in a large sump for the plants and/or some kind of anoxic denitrifying filter medium. Personally...I'd just keep changing water. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SourAngelfish

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting a big guy such as a GG with a tank full of smaller fish, providing the GG's ok with that! Not all of them are so accommodating when it comes to other fish.

I got lucky, very lucky. Mine's a big gentle guy who gets on well with everyone in this tank, and as you can see from the picture he has a lot of company!

IMG_20221209_201439_HDR.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
There's absolutely nothing wrong with putting a big guy such as a GG with a tank full of smaller fish, providing the GG's ok with that! Not all of them are so accommodating when it comes to other fish.

I got lucky, very lucky. Mine's a big gentle guy who gets on well with everyone in this tank, and as you can see from the picture he has a lot of company!

View attachment 1508458
I agree, you were lucky, as was I, and as were many other folks who succeed with this. I think that the majority of Osphros are almost completely nonpredatory and work just fine with little guys. Mine ignored any fish, regardless of species or size, right from guppies all the way up to cichlids his own size or larger. He was, however, completely intolerant of other Osphros throughout his life.

I think it's more a matter of a few people being unlucky enough to get psycho predatory Osphros, but I think those fish are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Reactions: Tilapia Guy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store