the pet barramundi help line

Dudzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Australia, Brisbane
The colour change is not caused by stress with Barras.
They will change colour allll the time, depending on mood, light, what they just ate and surroundings... can be caused by heaps of things, but most of the time its not stress or water parameters.
If he is the dominant fish in the tank or on his own he will display different colours alot.

Cammo X

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Australia
www.facebook.com
Barra Can Not breed in freshwater, they are that far upstream because they can be, juvies hang out in the fresh for a while then go to salt to breed or just to go to salt cause they want to, barra also go into freshwater to get rid of parasites and vice versa. It is impossible for barramundi to breed in freshwater.

Cam

Steveo1987

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2009
Rep. of Ireland, Dublin
I wouldnt be an expert on barramundi or anything but i'd guess you'd need to quarantine any fish you plan on feeding your barramundi?! If the bait fish has any sort of disease, its the quickest and easiest way for your barramundi getting a disease by eating a diseased fish? I personnaly wouldnt catch wild fish to feed it but thats just my opinion!

dingoofus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bundy, Queensland, Australia
JOSH R;3016334; said:
can someone tell me why my barramundi keeps on changing colors from black strips to all silver is this a sign of bad water quality?

It can be stress, but it can also be excitement, take for example if you put some feeders in the tank, your barramundi should get black stripes, and his white stripe will be fully white.

dingoofus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bundy, Queensland, Australia
@ Masone. Mate, this has nothing to do with this forumn, I just want to know, what is that in your avatar? lol.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
yeh josh r it is hpwever try to feed em pellets.

to breed them you need large indoor pond about 2000 litres. about 3000 dollars of hormones saltwater etc.

mootpants

Feeder Fish
Apr 28, 2012
NSW
I have 2 Barramundi in my 6 foot tank with a tandanus, heaps of random catfish, 2 silver sharks a gold spot pleco and a clown loach. One has definately become dominant over the other and is much bigger and more colourful, he eats first and the other hides. Be careful what you put in with them, i wouldnt spend too much on a tank mate. Mine will eat anythng that will fit in their mouth. Unfortunately when i first got them i spoilt them with live feeders and now they wont touch anything but live food. I catch guppies (mosquito fish) for them which is good cos i can catch 200 at a time. Anyone know if i can feed them on normal garden worms?

juzbmez

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Where Lightening Strikes
in the aquahobby they don't get too big as they are stunted. But they do get decent size 3ft plus. Also it's true they need saltwater to breed. They need saltwater to turn female and breed but if ever you make it work do contact me I'd be interested in learning more about how you did it. They have spawns of frys in the millions literally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store