The right way to add anti-chlorine ?

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
I know a lot of successful fishkeepers and breeders that dont even use dechlorinators.

I think the differences is like drinking tap water and buying water bottles.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Filling straight into your tank is perfectly safe but dosing for the complete volume is a must though. The reason for this is Chlorine and Chloramines are not the only thing that Prime will bond to on a molecular level. There are many chemicals,minerals, dissolved organics etc in our tanks that prime will actually bond to long enough for our biological filtration to take care of. The problem this makes for in tank water changes is when you dose for the amount of water you are replacing only, much of the Prime can be used up bonding to these leaving a lower concentration of the Prime to do its job with the Chlorine/Chloramines. Seachem have this info on their sites and also state on their bottles to dose for the complete volume if treating in tank. For those treating in a tub prior to introducing it to the tank, treating for the replaced amount is fine. If you are going to age your water first, no prime is needed if your water has Chlorine only as this will evaporate off fairly quickly with a little aeration or water movement. However, if your water has Chloramines in it you will still need to dose. Chloramine is used now in most municipal water supplies because it doesn't evaporate off like straight Chlorine.
That theory is sound, and I'm aware about it. However, I've never dosed the full tank and never had any bad effect from doing so. And I've used at least 3-4 different brands of dechlorinators over the past 5 years with similar results. I'm not a chemist to analyze nor have time to research the chemical reaction/bonding at molecular level, but real results do count in this case.

Who on this forum has dosed full tank? I'm curious now...

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
# 1 .... I have no problem with putting conditioner in the tank first before filling. I've been doing it on all types of fishes and never had any problems. For baby fishes when I was breeding, I mix it in a bucket first.

y26tan18

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Singapore
weird conflicting reports of if you need to dose full tank volume or not.
Yes now I'm confused to.

What greenterra say seems to make sense. Yet on the other hand, I'm quite against putting too much of anything into my tank or anything at all.
Which brings me to the next question. Overdosing the tank with seachem, would it change the water parameters ? Or what are the effects, of seachem floating about, with nothing to bond with ?

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
most fish keepers I know over the last 25 years only dose for volume of new water.

this 'dose for full tank volume' only became popular since seachem prime began gaining exposure with the rise of the internet sites.

you definitely don't need to dose full volume for any dechlor.

your fish will be fine.

the old water in the tank would have been fully neutralized from the last dose, so adding extra to 'treat' the old water that was already treated prior doesn't help.

its a waste of water conditioner, and overdosing with any dechlor can lead to cloudy water in some cases (a precipitate formed)

however, this is pretty rare. you have to add lots too much to do this.

if you are dosing for full volume and seeing no ill effects, and you feel more comfortable with it, continue.

but if you aren't, there is no real reason to start dosing (unless, as mentioned earlier, you are using Prime that helps with ammo/nitrite) and your tank has an issue.

in established tanks, plain old dechlorinator (something with sodium thiosulphate in it) is all that is needed.

good discussion though.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
You have to remember that part of the reason for Seachem's direction to dose for the full tank volume is that all water supplies vary in the amount of Chlorine or Chlorimines used etc. For most that have a decent water supply, dosing for the replaced water may work with no harm. None that you can see anyway. What happens though if you live in an area where higher concentrations of Chlorine/Chlorimines are used or needed. Here's a little food for thought. We had an event here not so long ago and it is not the 1st time it has happened either. Our municipal water supply had a major increase in Chlorimines (announced once it was too late) and there were fish die offs all over the city because of it. The local forum went into overdrive and there were report after report of lost fish. People were to afraid to do a water change. Out of this whole episode, the one thing I noticed in all the conversations and threads was that everyone who performed water changes in that time and dosed as per Seachems instructions went on about their business while those that dosed incorrectly or used inferior brands suffered losses. Prime for the price is extremely economical (5ml to 50 gallons) so to risk losing fish for a few dollars saved is not worth it to me.
For those interested . Seachems site. You can make up your own mind.;) http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
My thoguhts on dosing the entire tank, if you buy a product to use and it says after doing partial water change dose the full tank capacity, then follow direction. Why buy something yet not follow the direction, and take a chance at doing damge to your fish. Sure we all have opinions on what we think is best, but we did not create the products, so we probably don't truly know what's best. Then there is trial an error, if you feel you don't have to dose and it has been working for you for many years, then there you have it experience is ours best teacher.

Tankasaurus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Nashville
So I've been hauling buckets and dechlorinating each one as I fill it up, and never had any problems (besides my back). But there's a python under the tree for me this year so I am saying bybe-bye to those #$&^% buckets. Are you saying that if I pull 10 gallons out of my tank, regardless of how large my tank is, my fish will be fine if I dose the entire tank for whatever my brand of dechlorinator says is recommended for just 10 gallons of water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store