The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The theory behind Rid-X, or Bio-clean, or others of the ilk, is that the added bacterial populations, out compete opportunistic pathogens.
They don't actually treat (as in an antibiotic) but remove the conditions for, and/or overwhelm those that do harm.

Agreed. That, and they act as a sludge/waster reducer in ones tank, which is pretty much the sole purpose in my tanks. Pathogenic bacteria aren't a threat in my set ups as my stock etc never changes, same fish for several years.

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
I’ve been dosing for a few months now the only ill effect was that my driftwood became constantly covered in the white fuzz after previous months of none. I have since chosen to remove the driftwood and keep the bioclean. This works miracles for water parameters, maintenance, and fish health. I definitely send this thread to every semi-experienced fish keeper i meet

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I’ve been dosing for a few months now the only ill effect was that my driftwood became constantly covered in the white fuzz after previous months of none. I have since chosen to remove the driftwood and keep the bioclean. This works miracles for water parameters, maintenance, and fish health. I definitely send this thread to every semi-experienced fish keeper i meet
Interesting, I have driftwood in one of my tanks and have never experienced that?

Reactions: tlindsey

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Nor have I. Driftwood all normal, covered in algae in tanks without a pleco.
I have not taken in a new fish in over 4 years, and everyone is pretty healthy.
The live bearers are populating faster than the big fish can eat them.
But I am feeding pellets too. Pellets are easier to catch. ;)

Reactions: RD.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
That is one of the reasons I add probiotics to my tanks. I need that for all my hillstream loaches, garra, gobies and shrimp to feed on.
I could not get otos to survive in any of my tanks. Dosed probitotics about a week before I got them. They are usually emaciated when the get here. Put them in that tank and they smashed to biofilm that had grown and a few months later they are thriving.

I have noticed after dosing my fish and shrimp increase grazing activity.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Another update …...

Today I cleaned the filters in a different tank, another 125 gallon, filtered by three AC 500's (110). The tank contains a single adult male A. citrinellus that is 13-14" in TL. He is a big brute, with a big appetite, and he leaves a fair share of solid waste behind each week. This tank receives a very large 85% water change each week, but a good portion of the waste ends up in the filters, as there is no substrate in this tank, and with three big AC's running there is plenty of water movement. Along with what this brute of a fish kicks up!

This tank is also treated once a week with 1/4 teaspoon of Bio-Clean.

The following filter was cleaned 11 weeks ago. At that time I also added a new sheet of white Pen Plax media, that sits directly on top of the main course sponge. Photo taken 11/29/19

View attachment 1406480

This is the same filter today, 2/22/20, photo taken prior to cleaning.

View attachment 1406481

Look how clean the main sponge is, before I even rinsed it!

View attachment 1406482

Yesterday, Dec 27th, I cleaned the filter media in the tank above. I last cleaned them on July 31st. If my math is correct that's almost 5 months between cleaning, so approx a month longer than the pics above. They could have easily gone another month. Easily. Nothing else in this set up has changed, same water change frequency and amount (85% weekly), same dry food diet (which does contain some probiotic food), same lighting, same water parameters, same fish, maybe a bit bigger now? lol

A weekly dose of Bio-Clean in this tank has been doing what I had initially hoped these types of products would do, years ago when I started this thread.
My water changes have not been reduced, but my filter maintenance certainly has been.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
It’s pretty amazing how well this is working. I seem to be having very similar results.

I have actually gone from changing water every 3 or 4 days to changing water once a week.

On my big system I have three 7” filter socks before the stack of biological media, and a big filter sock after.

One filter sock of the 3 is getting cleaned every week, & I rotate them as they start to clog up. The 125 gets a clean filter sock every week. It’s dirty sock goes to the 55, and the 55’s dirty sock goes to the sand filter. The sand filter sock gets washed and stored in the sump until the next time I rotate.

The 4th filter sock (after the “bio-sump”) has not been cleaned or changed since I started putting in the bio-clean. It used to get changed every two weeks. It is amazing. It’s not even close to clogging up.

That system also has three large air lift sponge filters. One in the sump and two in the 125.

They don’t seem to be getting nearly as dirty as they used to.

Since I started this, I haven’t changed the filter floss in my Foyer tank, which is 75 with a 20g sump.

I used to just change the floss in the sump every two weeks. Every two months I would stir the sump all up and flush it out. I haven’t had to do that at all. It’s had the same filter floss for months now. They get a partial water change every week.

That system also has three air-lift sponge filters. They used to be pretty nasty when I squeezed them out. Now I don’t seem to be getting nearly as much goo out of the sponge filters when I rinse them.

The brackish 55 with the 40 gallon breeder sump Is having the same kind of results. The 55 drains through floss into the 40, where all the media is, and there is another floss filter on the return pump to the 55.

I am not having to change the floss at all.

That’s system also has three airlift sponge filters in the sump. They too are staying very clean.

The smaller systems are getting one scoop of bio clean every week. The big system is getting one in the tank and one in the sump. I use a little scoop that came with it. I never bothered to look at what size it is but I’d say it’s about 2 tablespoons.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It sounds like you are using a lot more product than I am. I dose 1/4 tsp per 125 gallon tank, once a week. Perhaps I can improve my results, with a double dose? Hmmmm. Ulu Ulu Thanks for your input.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And before anyone tries double dosing, or worse, please heed the following advice that I posted previously. I am quite confident that I could double my dose, in MY tanks, with MY fish. I would not recommend this for those who are not confident as to what they are doing, and I would highly recommend reading the following before adding any amount to their tanks.

After reviewing some of the comments made over the years regarding dosage rates & frequencies, I really wish that I would have put out a large WARNING in this thread, regarding same.

Warning - STOP Now & Read Below Before Proceeding!

If I could make that into a blinking GIF, I would.

As stated above - a little of these products goes a long ways!

Please Read the Following, Before Adding PROBIOTIC Bacteria OF ANY KIND To Your Tank!

The idea is to start this process gradually, not shock the aquarium with a shovel full of probiotic bacteria, added to a tank that is already choked off with sludge. I'm exaggerating of course, but a little goes a long ways, and one shouldn't expect bacteria to replace general maintenance of ones tank, including filter media and regular siphoning of substrate etc.

Used on a regular basis, in a limited controlled amount, these heterotrophic bacteria will convert excess organics to carbon dioxide, ash, mineral, gas, and water, which are then removed further via aeration, plants, and regular water changes. It can help reduce excessive organic build up, especially in low flow areas where a siphon cannot reach, as well as breaking down organic sludge that builds up on filter media in between regular maintenance.

Don't KILL Your Fish!

Another real risk to overdosing with massive amounts, especially in a sludge filled tank, is 02 depletion.
People need to be sensible when using these products. If not, then operator error could prove to be fatal in extreme situations. Starting off with a massive dose can cause ammonia spikes from a sudden increase in a massive amount of organics being consumed by these bacteria. it can also cause a sudden depletion in oxygen levels from this same process - bacteria need oxygen, as do your fish, so go easy and pay attention to the following - BEFORE you start adding these products to your tanks.

Some info from the Experts in this Area

From the pages of Alken Murray, which I have linked to previously in this discussion, but may have been missed by some. This is from one of the soluble formulas (so pretty much zero bran, wheat, etc substrate) when added to ones tank, much like what I have described with the Bio-Clean formula that I am currently trialling. This formula was also designed for aquariums, along with ponds, and they break the dosage down to per 100 gallons. https://www.alken-murray.com/1002pib.htm

ALKEN CLEAR-FLO® 1002 is a soluble, super-concentrated, dry blend of eleven natural, non-pathogenic, spore-forming, gram-positive Bacillus specifically selected for use in aquariums and garden ponds, to rapidly degrade a wide assortment of proteins, starches, fats, carbohydrates, fibers and excreta that contribute to murky water, reduced oxygen and buildup of algae and sediments.

This is much like the septic bacteria formulas that have been mentioned in this thread, some are simply more powerful than others, due to their bacteria & enzyme content.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

For aquariums and garden ponds from 100 to 1,000 gallons (378 - 3,780 liters): For each 100 gallons (378 liters), the initial dose is 0.5 grams, followed by 0.2 grams once a week for 3 doses, then 0.2 grams twice a month.

This is Important Too!

• To equate volume with weight in bran-based dry products (NOT exact due to variability of product density)
1 teaspoon of volume = 0.08 ounces (2.5 grams) of weight
1 tablespoon of volume = 0.26 ounce (7.5 grams) of weight.
2 oz. volume scoop holds 1 ounce (28 grams) weight
4 oz. volume scoop holds 55 grams (1/8 lb.) weight
8 oz. volume scoop holds 110 grams (1/4 lb) weight
1 quart of volume will equal 1 lb. (450 grams) weight

So when people are referring to using 3-4 cups of product, in their 300 gallon tank - a word to the wise, use the chart & dosage rates that the experts have suggested for their products. These products should be measured in grams, or fractions of teaspoons, NOT cups! They even have guidelines for liquid formulations, including for alternative applications, such as septic systems.

If your tank is a sludge filled crap fest, start small, and work your way up. DO NOT OVERDOSE to cut corners!
Then, once the bacteria are established, do as Alken-Murray recommend, and cut back to a maintenance dosage.

The last thing I want is another round of something like this. See below. lol

And just for the record, some of my fish, including a group of clown loaches, have been swimming in tanks with various septic products for close to a decade now.

sigh

I am aware of a poor ray hobbyist recently that was advised that using RidX as a probiotic in your tank is useful.

IT IS NOT. IT IS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS FOR YOUR RAYS.

He lost $$$thouands of dollars in livestock.
In my opinion more than partly due to adding RidX in his system, coupled with less than ideal water pH and hardness.

There are so many 'unknowns' in it, bacteria and enzymes and chemicals, that to use this crap anywhere near any living creature is inadvisable, but to add it to a system with scaleless fish ( i.e. rays) that are worth so much money is being cheap to the point of INSANITY, and to recommend RidX as a fish system probiotic at all is imo totally reckless with other people's animals. whoever recommends that I would refer you to my avatar.

here is RidX 'fact' sheet...as you'll see...very light on facts.

http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/Rid-X-Septic-Treatment-US-English.pdf

read it then tell me you think it is ray safe.

:screwy:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I started out with tiny doses like 1/4 tsp/90 gals. I increased this every week.

There was always a little cloudiness, at first, But I never had any distressed fish. I didn’t lose my snails.

By the end of the first 30 days I was putting one scoop per week for ~90 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store