The USER FRIENDLY Bowfin compatibility thread

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Mine were very aggressive and would always nip at my other fish so theyre housed alone now.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
haha Ryan seems like you put too much time into the stickies:p

as much as you'd like to hear stories & experiences from others, i would still advise you "wade through the technicalities". it might be a bit much, but it's good stuff if you take the time to go through it.
Too many words.... LOL... want to see technicalities give Sol and I 15 minutes with the stickies :) .... Then there would be something to complain about.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Please let me know if you do introduce yours to the Pike, and tell me what happens.

I would like actual experiences, not speculation. There are a lot of things I could imagine, too, but that isn't a good excuse for having fish killed :)
I assume you are NOT asking about true pike! Common names are worthless sometimes (Belly crawler WTF "a cichlid"?)

I would say that the Bowfin is an extremely forgiven fish, and I have a total of 1 casualty inflicted by a bowfin on any other fish (Outside of another bowfin) like Greg31 stated above.

They are tough as nails and can take and seem to enjoy a bit of "rough housing" from semi aggressive tank mates. Only 1 green sunfish was viscous and persistent enough to get "chomped" in half.

With that said, NOT A CHANCE with true pikes in aquaria! I wouldn't even think of putting my Bowfins with my Pickerels as I value them too much!

If by Belly Crawler you mean common name of an elongated cichlid, I wouldn't see any reason why not to give it a shot, so long as they are of similar size.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
My bowfin was being a jerk to every fish I kept with him, so I sold him as a solo fish tank.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Mmm I'm liking the mixed stories here - thanks guys! I might try mine with some sunfish just to see what happens - because after moving my nature classroom, I kept only my prize pet fish (Including him) and I'm not going to risk anything with any of them. BUT, the Bowfin has his own tank, and it would be sweet if I can get some nice wood, plants, and sunfish going in there with him.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Isn't sunfish are natural prey items for bowfin?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Yes, they are - but I imagine if the sunfish were adults it should work out. Or maybe not. But at least it wouldn't be one of my prize pets that got attacked.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I placed mine (A gift from SimonL bought at a local Chinese grocery store) in this tank with these fish in 2012. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz_lisi3lJc

However KevinP a friend who has several of them suggested that as his are very vicious so when working on the 15kg/56kl this summer I moved it to a 225g/850l with a Sperata aor and a Eleotris picta.

I have not experienced any problems with mine but Kevin says only his Atractosteus spatula (He has 8) are really safe with the 4 he has. Mine is only 20"/50cm. His are larger.

Mine was attacked by only one fish in the first tank, my insane Salminus brasiliensis which has also been removed and waiting for a new abode in my fish rooms.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store