The Yangtze River Dolphin is probably Extinct.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
:popcorn:

Its sad that they were wipped out . Weren't they over fished or harvested first then the dams prevented them from migrateing up river to spawn finishing them off ? or something like that i remember reading an article on some type of dolphins being largely killed in asian can't remember why though

Arachnar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Boise,Idaho
You all have good point here we all carry some responsibilities.

Killerfish-I don't know what other reasons where for their extinction but i think being caught in fishing nets and motorboat propellers was one problem.

Alistriwen-Yeah they dolphin was sadly on its way out anyway before the Three Gorges Dam but it certainly didn't help.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
Scorponok;1971638; said:
Are you going to also call them f-ing mexicans for endangering vaquita?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_animals_of_the_United_States

f-ing americans for causing these animals to extinct?

Maybe it's not the people but their govt who is responsible for the extinction and survival of their animals, such as california condors and giant pandas.

uh... you have to be more specific. precisely which animals are you talking about? what did the US govt do to cause their extinction?

you can't get away with such broad generalizations. at least not with me around.

Scorponok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2005
cybertron in cyberspace
pcfriedrich;1974626; said:
uh... you have to be more specific. precisely which animals are you talking about? what did the US govt do to cause their extinction?

you can't get away with such broad generalizations. at least not with me around.
Hmm....lets' see. OK, I will see how many animals I can bring up.

Eastern elk - The western pioneer hunted them to extinction in 1914.
http://www.nps.gov/archive/wica/Elk.htm

Sea mink - Hunted into extinction during the european fur trade in 1860.

Gull island vole - it became extinct after its habitat destroyed for naval fortifications in 1898 for the Spanish-American War

you look at this map the US has extincted more mammals than china. In fact, the map shows china extinct no mammals.

http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/heywood/geog358/endanger.htm#mammals

If you want to know how america govt. is responsible for their extinctions, just tell me how many years has the US been the number one polluter of the world? Surely you don't think there is a connection between pollution and extinction.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0107-01.htm

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
i seen an article on one of documentary channels a while ago about the river dolphin. its a shame, such a beautiful species.
yet again i feel embarassed for my species. most people better hope their is no god cos he is gonna be mighty pi**ed if he is watching us do this to his planet.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Spankbelly;1972089; said:
Because Kyoto is bogus. Even the countries that agreed to it know it is bogus and are not even trying to meet it. Like...oh say, Canada.
Unfortunately you are wrong.

drgnfly829

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
maryland
Just watched it recently because we had discussed aspects of it and I was clueless.
The movie mentions global warming and greenhouse gasses and i think it was made in the 60's
Very depressing but recommend it
OH BTW in that movies everything's extinct but people

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
im soo tempted to jump into this argument and be nice :ROFL:
but for the moment i'll be back to cooking my mushrooms and reading :popcorn:

@topic...that sux man...honestly...i still hope there are a few remaining that the scientist failed to spot:(

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Since some people are trying to play the blame game I will put in my 2 cents...

Every race has been the cause of some species to go extinct, but there are only a few nations that try to reverse the effects with captive breeding. So instead of blaming who ever for them going extinct, point your finger and blame them for not trying to captive breed...

personally I am getting tired of the *_____* they have been caught numerous time fishing in Canadian waters and most recently, they have dropped their flags along with Russia's flags in the north pole... and I dare them to take it a little farther....

Also I really think they should ban fishing completely and start eating captive bred fish. I know that wouldnt happen right away but it is really the only way for the oceans to recover...

*Fill in the blank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store