Thinking of setting up a puffer tank...Some guidance please?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ You're very welcome, also, since you've opted for the the F8's you could even consider having 2 in a 55G, since that should be enough space for them to live quite happily given there is enough decor to break up lines of sight ;)

Kaiden

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
I actually did end up with two :) I posted some pics of them on the Puffer forum.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/new-to-puppies-er-i-mean-puffers.675490/

Do you think Puffer 2's color will improve once I start adding salt to the tank? Is he/she really an F8? Lol. I noticed a little more nipping this morning started by P2. P1 (I need to come up with a name instead of calling them by number :D) seems more docile/curious than the other and just happily checks out all the rocks. He's also taking in some pellets, unlike 2.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
With Brackish aquariums, the fish can handle swings in SG as they naturally occur in estuarys and other zones that fluctuate regularly.

Your filter bacteria however, needs more time to adapt or you risk wiping them out and starting a mini cycle (like when you set the tank up) this can cause the loss of fish pretty quickly and lead to nuisance algae etc.

I remember being told (and I have always done this) to only adjust the SG by 0.002 SG every 2 weeks. any more than that and you risk causing a crash and another cycle.

I checked out your pictures in the other thread and that light colored puffer looks like an oddball figure 8 with an interesting pattern, a very nice one actually.

Guppies and mollies do exceptionally well in brackish water (mollies are native to it). I have even acclimated cheap mollies to full marine conditions, that lived long happy lives and reproduced. In fact those mollies were with a GSP in full marine conditions.

So livebearers are a very good choice for a tankmate and puffers will mostly ignore them.
Pristella tetras can handle low levels of salinity and any of the indian barb species from the dawkinsia group.
here are my Filamentosa barbs that I've had for about 2 years now. they are in freshwater but they make for active colorful additions and stay at a nice medium size.
males in breeding dress

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store