THIS IS FOR ALL THE TALL-TANK MFK'S

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
beautiful tanks 12V love the black substrate.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
any updates on the polygem projects?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
any updates on the polygem projects?
We're not there yet. Been covering up my PVC with pond foam and then will be using the Polygem over the pond foam (thought I'd save money doing it this way.) Have run into a big snag with the polyurea flat sheets. The stuff is like teflon--nothing sticks to it. I made the mistake of ordering a smooth surface, i.e., no rocks in the material. When I reread the instructions on Polygem, I discovered it can be used in molds of properly prepared silicone or polyurethane. Oh oh. I have a few options to try with the polyurea sheets. Reordering the polyurea sheets with lots of ground rock, sandblasting, then coating the surface with an epoxy primer before the artist paints my background, then covering the painted surface with a clear epoxy paint (also sold by Polygem). I've given up on my plan for a low profile 3D background using the polyurea. We certainly don't want the painting to delaminate in the tank. My other option is to go with foam sheets and Polygem. The Polygem would definitely work better than using Dryloc. If we have to use foam sheets, the background would have to be in sections 33" x 45" as 33" would be the widest rigid piece that could fit obliquely through the openings on the top of the tank. The polyurea is flexible and can be rolled up (which is why I wanted to use it.)

At the very least the eleven PVC pipes in the tank will not look like pipes. In order to make the five uptakes and returns more "treelike", we put Ts in and extended the pipes to the floor.

I bent a lot of wire

Have to cover the end caps, and work on the "knots" where the Venturi returns and the uptakes will thread in. The connectors are just in place to keep the threads clean. After the Pond Foam sculting is finished, then it will be time for the Polygem. Got a brown pigment to add to the Polygem to get a closer tree color in the epoxy putty, then the artist will paint the trees and the final coat of clear epoxy paint will be put on. Long ways to go yet, and I'm still hoping the polyurea sheets can be used.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
^:popcorn:

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Had a very bad fall 5 weeks ago and not able to go to work, let alone work on my project. I start PT tomorrow to regain function of my hand.

My "trees" have been ready of the Polygem for quite a while.

Upside down uptakes and returns

Six mechanical uptakes

I have also had a lot of trouble getting the polyurea sheets for my backgrounds. They were made FOUR times. A polyurea contractor in Montana finally made good sheets for us. We got the polyurea sheets today. I think I first ordered them in March from a different source who made them twice. They were full of holes and would not have worked in the application we have in mind. Just read my old post. We are using polyurea--water based paints work on it if the surface is painted with PVC primer first.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
OUCH! That doesn't look very good, Pacumom. I like the idea of a pvc sleeve to make the intake and drain pipes look natural. Someone could probably make a nice living making doing that;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store