Those With Predatory Fish Who Feed Live Food

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I have never felt bad about feeding live.

It is great to be a fisherman and have had 100's of live Norfolk Spot bait intended for Rockfish bitten in half by a nasty freekin' bluefish and the head still breathing on the hook.

Closest I ever came to a guilty feeling is Dither fish doing their jobs and getting BRUTALIZED!

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Most don't feed live for a lot of reasons. One you didn't mention is safety, feeders could bring in diseases or parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
One thing you didn't consider was "feeding live" doesn't mean an unquaratined store bought feeder fish. Many people breed their own

Can't say I've had any brutal moments in regard to feeding live. I don't do bigger then bite and I've only kept toothy predators so no pecking to death. Like many piranha keepers I have experienced cannabalism though. I always feel terrible when you come home to just the head left and the piranha is still alive but can't do anything. Piranhas eat tail first on same size/larger fish as a learned defense mechanism. So it sucks seeing a head floating at the bottom of the tank but respiratory system still working

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
most brutal thing I seen was when I had a common snapping turtle and it got big enough to eat mice. i'd drop in the mouse and it would swim around looking for a way out and the snapping turtle would sneak up and snatch it. then it would use it's claw to rip it apart and you'd see a little cloud of blood and guts and then it would consume it. the second mice got taken down by it's tail and the turtle held it for a few seconds until the mouse went unconscious. then it ripped it apart too before eating it. that was more gnarly than any fish feeding I've ever seen. second would be those youtube videos of snake heads cutting large fish in half

I had it from when it's shell was about 3" across

when it died its shell was about 10" across

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
most brutal thing I seen was when I had a common snapping turtle and it got big enough to eat mice. i'd drop in the mouse and it would swim around looking for a way out and the snapping turtle would sneak up and snatch it. then it would use it's claw to rip it apart and you'd see a little cloud of blood and guts and then it would consume it. the second mice got taken down by it's tail and the turtle held it for a few seconds until the mouse went unconscious. then it ripped it apart too before eating it. that was more gnarly than any fish feeding I've ever seen. second would be those youtube videos of snake heads cutting large fish in half

I had it from when it's shell was about 3" across

when it died its shell was about 10" across
Lol my love for piranha started from fascination with a turtle feeding too

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Lol my love for piranha started from fascination with a turtle feeding too

I got that turtle when I was around 18 or 19

I wish I had it later in life when I was more experienced. it got sick and died. I didn't know what to do at the time. I used to hand feed it and it got to a point where it was too scary to hand feed

you see it on tv, but when you see it live grab onto meat you really appreciate it's power

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store