Thoughts about college/university.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Know what you want out of a college degree before investing in it.
Where I work every Director, Vice President, President and CEO have a degree. I currently have someone working for me that cannot be promoted to the next level because of the lack of a degree. This person is not happy and will probably quit, especially when we just hired someone that just got out of college making $20K more. Doing the same thing!
It's not just about the money but where you want to be in life. I truely believe most people want to climb the ladder of success and I can't see how it can be done without formal education when companies require it. Again, know what you want.
On a side note, my son graduated from high school today and will be attending UCLA next month. I'm paying.
Ohh lucky him! What does he want to major in?

My parents and I looked at the tuition for UCLA and by the time I am done with four years it will cost almost as much as the first house my parents ever bought. $120,000.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Ohh lucky him! What does he want to major in?

My parents and I looked at the tuition for UCLA and by the time I am done with four years it will cost almost as much as the first house my parents ever bought. $120,000.
Double that for me. My first son just finished his first year at UCSD + dorm majoring in biology. Second son is majoring in bio engineering at UCLA + dorm. There goes all my fish money. Lucky I got a college degree to support my family. hahah

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
These are my options for UCLA. My top two choices is to stay in a dorm or join a frat.

ucla tuition mfk.jpg

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Double that for me. My first son just finished his first year at UCSD + dorm majoring in biology. Second son is majoring in bio engineering at UCLA + dorm. There goes all my fish money. Lucky I got a college degree to support my family. hahah
Triple that for my parents. By the time I finish community college my parents will most likely own their second house so they will have to pay for two home mortgages and my UCLA or ASU tuition. As you stated above "Lucky I got a college degree to support my family" I know my parents can pay for this because they also got their degree :). Even though I know they can pay I am trying to find some scholarships to help make it easier for them.

Lizardking

Jocke
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Sweden
Going to the uni is one my best decisions Ive ever made. I have wife,house,fiahstanks and other animals. We also have three wonderful boys in the ages between 3-6. Sometimes I have to work, approx 15h a month. Im a the the uni for my kids really. With this exam Im hoping to give my kids a little better future with the higher income that I will have compare to the income I would had without an exam.

If you are planning to have a family sometime in the future. Go to the university!

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
It really seems like there are a lot of people here that believe you can't support a family without having a degree, or have a well paying job without a degree, which is completely not true at all.

Yes, it's harder to find a better paying job, but it's possible.

Jimmy16

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Las vegas
pre reqs are a bunch of BS. Being a Biology BS major, i dont think its necessary for me to take a fine arts class, multi cultural class, etc. just put me in classes thats needed to get me in to med school. waste of time? the first four years are a waste of time, because once im up there, i pretty much forget or dont use what i learned the previous years.
lol

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
It really seems like there are a lot of people here that believe you can't support a family without having a degree, or have a well paying job without a degree, which is completely not true at all.

Yes, it's harder to find a better paying job, but it's possible.
it also depends on the specific feild and location of where you are too.

for example, in my area (greater toronto), in my feild (wastewater treatment) no one even gets an interview without post secondary education.

however, if you go to a northern ontario town for instance, someone could probably get in with just high school, because the quality of the applicant pool will be a lot less.

I do believe that as each year passes, it gets more and more difficult to get a good paying job with just high school.

people always talk about Bill Gates and his dropping out, but you need to remember two things:

1. that was 30 years ago
2. he dropped out of Harvard, arguably the top university on the planet. people saw the name Harvard and didn't care that he dropped out LOL.

him getting in was good enough! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store