Thoughts : Minimum tank sizes, & Polypterids with NA Native fish.

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
Greetings people of this forum, I have 2 queries for you all.
Firstly : I have been making some plans (read : speculating) to get a Bichir, but I am wondering about tank size, I am considering getting a P. Delhezi and I am wondering if a 40g Breeder would do (I read somewhere that 40g's are a valid tank size, but I want the forums opinion). Alternatively I could possibly get a 75g tank but it might not be practical.
Secondly : Does anyone know anything about the possibility of cohabiting Polypterids and NA native fish such as Red-finned Pickerel and Yellow Perch, I was pondering this as something that might work.
As an addendum to that, 2 other potential tank mates I was considering were Red Rainbow-fish and Indian Hill Trout, I wish to see what you all think of these propositions.

asian arowana

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2023
And in my experience a grass pickerel and a senegal bichir worked until a turtle came and ate the pickerel

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
40 gallon breeder is a good size imo. Obviously the bigger the better, but a 3ft by 2 ft by 18 inch tank should be sufficient for cb delhezi which grow to around 12-14 inches max. I would prefer a 40 breeder than say a 55 long given the width which is more important for bichirs. If you can get your hands on a 75 gallon or larger would be ideal, but growing out and generally longterm (if you don’t plan on getting more fish), 40 breeder is adequate tank space.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Greetings people of this forum, I have 2 queries for you all.
Firstly : I have been making some plans (read : speculating) to get a Bichir, but I am wondering about tank size, I am considering getting a P. Delhezi and I am wondering if a 40g Breeder would do (I read somewhere that 40g's are a valid tank size, but I want the forums opinion). Alternatively I could possibly get a 75g tank but it might not be practical.
Secondly : Does anyone know anything about the possibility of cohabiting Polypterids and NA native fish such as Red-finned Pickerel and Yellow Perch, I was pondering this as something that might work.
As an addendum to that, 2 other potential tank mates I was considering were Red Rainbow-fish and Indian Hill Trout, I wish to see what you all think of these propositions.
I think you should go with the 75 and maybe put one or two of your native options in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store