Thoughts on my 10 gal south florida native tank idea?

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
So, I live in south Florida where I wouldn't consider posting this to a coldwater tank, but I am trying to specialize with natives, so, here I go!

Around my area is a beautiful little pond that was made from fill. South Florida has a lot of these fill ponds where the HOAs have dug them up to raise the ground. Most of these ponds are pretty much disgusting though; cichlids, cane toads, and algae, Oh my! The HOAs don't really take note that fertilizers and lack of care has killed off many opportunities to enjoy the natives and have replaced them with inbred convicts from other places. But this pond id different. I've seen few tilapia or jewel cichlids, and an abundance of native fish species I didn't even knew existed this far south. And that's why I want to make a nano biotope of the lake.

I go to it every winter and wade through the shallows looking for critters lurking among the shore. The last winter, I took my brand new Gopro and set it along the bank surround by boulders that border the dropoff where predators like bass prowl, and I found that there were two more species that I personally never seen so far south. The coastal shiner and bluefin killifish. Here are the video links:
and

So this winter, I would like to prepare a ten gallon nano tank with these species:
2-3 American Flagfish: 1 male/1-2 females
2 Least Killifish: 1 male/1 female
1 Golden Topminnow
3 Bluefin Killifish
3 Coastal Shiners
-------------------------
Jungle Val.
Duckweed
Cabomba
For the boulders, I would probably just use natural limestone, since the lake has limestone naturally in it, and have poolfilter sand as substrate with dirt or plant substrate for the plants(although I wouldn't know how to replicate the detritus at the bottom. I'd most likely set the tank next to a window to get more natural light and with a mix of an old t5 I have laying around since most of these plants don't need much light.

tl;dr: Just watch the youtube links, and read the last paragraph.

All I need is just some constructive criticism and some help and pointers for this maybe project.

Thanks in advance

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Ditch flagfish if you want have bluefins. Flagfish are pushy where the bluefins are shy and timid. Add more individuals to least killies but I'd rather ditch shiners and topminnows if you want some reproduction from least killies.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I like to idea, but I'd go with less species and more fish per species. A single pair of least killies is going to result in the female being harassed and you'll wind up with dozens of babies eventually. Also, the shiners will most likely be pretty stressed if there are only three of them. I'd personally pick your two or three favorites off that list and do 5-6 of each of them.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
I personally like the shiners, and I like the bluefins as well. I already have a lone topminnow in my general freshwater tank, which is why I would like one. So in short, I'm ditching flagfish and topminnows, and upping the bluefins and shiners. I still have to keep the topminnow though.

So stock list so far:
5-6 bluefin killifish
5-6 coastal shiner
1 golden topminnow

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I personally like the shiners, and I like the bluefins as well. I already have a lone topminnow in my general freshwater tank, which is why I would like one. So in short, I'm ditching flagfish and topminnows, and upping the bluefins and shiners. I still have to keep the topminnow though.

So stock list so far:
5-6 bluefin killifish
5-6 coastal shiner
1 golden topminnow
Lists looks good to me!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I don't like to mixing bluefins with minnows. Bluefins are very shy as their nature. I've had bluefins before and they do best with peaceful fishes but not with fast swimmers. Problem is that minnows can outcompete the bluefins for food.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
I don't like to mixing bluefins with minnows. Bluefins are very shy as their nature. I've had bluefins before and they do best with peaceful fishes but not with fast swimmers. Problem is that minnows can outcompete the bluefins for food.
The thing is is that I didn't know that there were any shiners or bluefins in the lake until recently. Their presence has been kept quite by the more boisterous mosquitofish. And both shiners an bluefins stay near the limestone where their beige color blend them with the rocks. When I saw them in the videos I took, I got really excited about it, which is why I wanted them both on my stock list.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yes but the bluefins are difficult to have them on prepared foods. That's why you are better off with Bluefins and Least Killies in a 10gal than bluefins and shiners.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
Yes but the bluefins are difficult to have them on prepared foods. That's why you are better off with Bluefins and Least Killies in a 10gal than bluefins and shiners.
I personally like shiners. I rarely get to see them because all I see are usually killies and livebearers. I've gotten bored, if that's a good way to say it, with them. And most waters where I am are too brackish and dirty for even carp. I would like to at least have the shiners, because I am fond of them. So, now I'd probably ditch the Bluefins, and add probably 4 least killies(1 male/ 3 female).

And If I'd like to breed least killies as well, I'd add green yarn filaments to act as the hair algae that's in the lake.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If you want have shiners, ditch both bluefins and least killies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store