Thoughts on scape

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Whilst it does look nice, my concerns would be around the leaves still attached to the branches.
Any leaf still attached to a branch means that it did not die and fall off. Hence there could still be “life” in the branch and the leaves which is potentially, not definitely, but potentially toxic to the fish or can have an effect on water chemistry and quality.

VaanBasch86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2020
Whilst it does look nice, my concerns would be around the leaves still attached to the branches.
Any leaf still attached to a branch means that it did not die and fall off. Hence there could still be “life” in the branch and the leaves which is potentially, not definitely, but potentially toxic to the fish or can have an effect on water chemistry and quality.

I do see you point, I did avoid quite a few branches. This one has been inside for quite a while (~2 years) the leaves have been falling off. I had to take a bunch out that were messing with the wave maker

Reactions: Fishman Dave

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I like the look as well. I understand the caution expressed above, and would never place fresh leaves, on or off the branch, into a tank.

I think you would be safe if you waited till they are dead, but before they actually drop off; a pretty brief window of opportunity, to be sure. I always pick mine up shortly after they drop from the tree on their own.

I do see you point, I did avoid quite a few branches. This one has been inside for quite a while (~2 years) the leaves have been falling off. I had to take a bunch out that were messing with the wave maker
Wait...what? Are you saying that same branch with leaves on it has been submersed in your tank for over 2 years???

Those look like maple leaves, one of the types I use regularly. Dead/dry maple leaves added to my tanks take a day or so to sink...and then deteriorate to the point of invisibility with a few weeks. I can't imagine how on earth you get years out of those!

Reactions: Fishman Dave

VaanBasch86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2020
I like the look as well. I understand the caution expressed above, and would never place fresh leaves, on or off the branch, into a tank.

I think you would be safe if you waited till they are dead, but before they actually drop off; a pretty brief window of opportunity, to be sure. I always pick mine up shortly after they drop from the tree on their own.

Wait...what? Are you saying that same branch with leaves on it has been submersed in your tank for over 2 years???

Those look like maple leaves, one of the types I use regularly. Dead/dry maple leaves added to my tanks take a day or so to sink...and then deteriorate to the point of invisibility with a few weeks. I can't imagine how on earth you get years out of those!
Buddy at work had a tree fall, needed some beaches for my Boa, these were extras I kept in my storage room. About 50% have fallen off already. They will likely be all off by tomorrow night. I just wanted to see opinions about the scape.

live leaves or non cured leaves do no make it into my aquariums. Newest material in this tank would be (other then the temporary branch) the slate rocks you don’t see so well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store