Tig catfish, Brachyplatystoma tigrinum, ~15", in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Minus two more tigs in the 1800 gal. Same symptoms. All the damage in the photos below is self-inflicted when dying, spinning, ramming into things.

Down to 1 remaining tig.

100_9878.JPG101_0007.JPG

Yaponchik Yaponchik Thank you for your post, brother.

In our experience, piraiba are hardier to the pathogen spectrum we have in our water, so I am not surprised your/your friend's piraiba could handle what jur and tig couldn't. Exact same we see here.

The high hardness and pH I would suspect cause a constant stress on Amazonian fish like the Brachyplatystoma, which are far not the hardiest and most adaptable.

Absolutely agreed on the need for UV sanitization of water. I've become firmly convinced! I am considering this in earnest, especially now, having lost so many precious, show kind and size fish. Up until now, we have not used UV sanitization on our water. Yes, our water is 85% RO with 15% raw well mixed in. But the bacterial killer lives in our tanks+15K filter system and I am pretty sure it came with other fish, most likely in 2018 with the walking catfish from the wild, who were undertreated in QT. The 26K system of the two 4500's, one 1800, and the 15K sump hosts the majority of larger rescue fish that come and go. No surprise, with my lazy man QT procedures, that we have been losing precious, rare fish (while most of the cheap and hardy fish remain ok). But most of all since 2018. Until then, it had been far better.

Yes, I am not saying it was the columnaris or only columnaris or the columnaris was the primary cause, not secondary or tertiary. Some fish we have lost in 2018 and since then showed symptoms consistent with columnaris and some didn't. Columnaris BTW is a complex animal and has several known strains, acting quite differently.

Yes, my gut feeling says the reason #1 is that the tigs (and their tank mates) were killed by the bacteria, and the stress was only a compounding factor, I suspect a mild one at best.

A less likely reason is dirty 15K sump and as a result a high bacterial count in water column, but after I cleaned the 15K sump thoroughly twice over one year, there was no improvement whatsoever. Thus, I am inclined to discard this as the primary cause. Again, a compounding factor it may be. I have planned to make a rearrangement in the sump, take out half the shade cloth media to make the hiding of detritus and bacteria harder and the vacuuming of the sump easier and faster and will continue cleaning the sump more frequently.

I also am looking into the UV with humongous help from F fishdance . A turn key it'd be $10K-$20. As a DIY, I might get away with several thousand $.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Hello Viktor,
Sad news, sorry for your loss.
I vividly remember when tigrinus first came to market, commanding prices of USD$10,000.00 . Fortunately commercial farming practices and captive breeding have greatly reduced prices and improved availability.

You should definitely autopsy these fish. The eratic swimming before death is indicative of brain or nervous system issues. Perhaps bacterial or protozoan parasites. At advanced stages, you should be able to see brain or nerve center lesions or tissue damage so even a 10x magnifying glass would do if you don't have a microscope or facilities to culture. Even a non event autopsy is worthwhile as healthy specimens for comparison is necessary - which just takes time & experience.

I would also examine the swim bladder although this generally exhibits as loss of balance behaviour, not eratic swimming. Confusingly, a frightened fish can slam into something causing physical swim bladder damage. (As distinct from disease affecting bladder).

And of course, look for ovaries or testes to confirm sex while you have the fish open.

A microscope is cheap. Even a plastic children's scope to 100X would do. Get an adaptor for cell phone camera or USB camera so you can email me images in the future.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I gotta follow up on FishDance's great advice yet.

Meanwhile, the last of the 11 adult tig catfish is gone, the same way as the prior 8 - first hunger strike for months, then spinning, erratic swimming as the final stage. The first 3 we had lost to accidents. We have kept them from 2015 until 2022.

Last tig looks like a male, 22", 8 yo.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Been over a year since we lost the last of 10x big tigs supposedly to thiaminase and the ensuing B1 deficit. Trying again. Bought 5x. They came wanting to get out of the shipping water, while the rest of a large order were quite fine. Very alarming. Why? ... 1 week later the tig that had been affected the most by something bad that occurred in shipping died. The remaining 4 have been well (one of them hadn't been feeding for a week but then started):

Reactions: Chub_by

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Viktor, do you have an overview anywhere (either in Text or Video form) of the total amount and species of fish that were affected or even succumbed to the presumed thiamine deficiency? Would be very interesting to see.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
C Chub_by P phreeflow Summarizing thiaminase-B1-deficit observations has been on my laundry list for 8 months now. I am still learning about it too sometimes with some of our fish. Not too long ago I had to inject a 3ft Wallagonia leerii and reverse its B1 lack. The list would be vast. But Phreeflow is right, the other biggie was the columnaris outbreak of 2018 and from then on... and the symptoms were not always crystal clear when it was B1 lack and when it was columnaris, but often it was pretty clear.

So yeah, I could come up with these lists, sooner than later especially if each of you could lend me a day or two of your time :)

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
C Chub_by P phreeflow Summarizing thiaminase-B1-deficit observations has been on my laundry list for 8 months now. I am still learning about it too sometimes with some of our fish. Not too long ago I had to inject a 3ft Wallagonia leerii and reverse its B1 lack. The list would be vast. But Phreeflow is right, the other biggie was the columnaris outbreak of 2018 and from then on... and the symptoms were not always crystal clear when it was B1 lack and when it was columnaris, but often it was pretty clear.

So yeah, I could come up with these lists, sooner than later especially if each of you could lend me a day or two of your time :)
I was primarily interested in how you determined B1 deficiency vs columnaris and what that looks like since I have also mysteriously lost fish that were otherwise doing well for years. I have struggled to identify or reverse columnaris, mycobacterium, and B1 deficiency. Was wondering if you sent your fish to a lab.

Not sure how I can help with a list but I’ll try if you need help

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store