Tiger Barbs and gourami's

spocker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2012
atlanta,georgia
I have five barbs and 2 gouramis in a 20 gal tank. one barb is a loner and picking on everything else. Will this work itself out or does he need to be removed. If so how to i catch the little bugger?. Thanks, Pat

PIE.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
New Jersey
If it is bad, then I would suggest rearranging the tank or adding more tiger barbs (preferably around the same size as all the others), as then the tiger barbs may establish their own hierarchy.

teh.pathogen

Feeder Fish
Nov 10, 2011
Canada
I agree with PIE,The Barb will keep attacking a wounded fish, so you could quarantine the wounded. Also another tip for future aggression, do not add any long fined species in the tank.

spocker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2012
atlanta,georgia
IMG_20120115_180153.jpgThanks folks! I moved some stuff around and added more plants. I also added three new albino barbs for a total of eight barbs. I dont thinks the Gourami is injured, just annoyed, I dont blame it! I wonder if that is to many plants for the size of the tank?

IMG_20120115_180153.jpg

jeep07

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
US
definetly get the wounded guy out for now. there should be minimial aggression at best. Moving stuff around I found is a temporary solution. But i agree with the dont get more long fined fish

PIE.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
New Jersey
I like tanks that have some plants in it, preferably more the denser side than the lightly planted side. I think many fish feel more secure with plants around them for cover if they need it. Its your decision on what you want though.

Your tank looks very nice!

FishForLife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2010
Singapore
if the barb has been alone for a while i would say remove it first, the fish might remain always aggressive as it has been alone too long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store