Tiger barbs kissing and dancing

Puffer puffer pass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2012
Fort Collins
I have a tank with six tiger barbs in it and I keep noticing them doing weird stuff.... It seems like they are kissing each other than swimming in circles and what it seems nipping at each other and there colors start to turn blacker... Any ideas? I'm not sure if they are fighting or if there trying to mate! Either way it's weird!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have seven tiger barbs that have grown to maturity in one of my tanks over four + years. Some have a very red snout. I suspect these are males and from time to time I have observed what appears to me to be a way to establish a pecking order (dominance) that is similar to what you describe. The male that comes out on top looks to have the redder nose that the others with a red nose. Much of the time they all get along without any squabbles. Some many months ago the when there were ten tigers the biggest with a red nose died. I noticed that the pecking order was disrupted and after a time another slightly smaller red nose apparently came out on top with the reddest coloration of its snout.
I have also observed some chasing and what could be described as dancing between what I take to be the males and the females. This often results in some very vigorous chasing of what I think are females thru the heavily planted part of the tank. I suspect this is mating behavior and that eggs are likely shed. No fry result as it is a community tank.
What you have seen could be a mix of both behaviors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store