MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That makes perfect sense when you think about it, just from a quick look at the range maps for the two species. Pike are found far further north than Muskies.

Having said that, tlindsey tlindsey ...did you read through that thread for which you provided a link? What a clown parade that was! The only person on there who seemed to actually provide worthwhile info regarding the husbandry of these, or any, fish...was the poster P PYRU . The OP of that thread seemed to have lifted a quote from a gas-station free handout aimed at tourist fishermen; his fanboy telling potential keepers that Muskies would prefer temps up into the 80F range was the fly on the s**tpile of that "information". :)

As far as long-term care...i.e. years, not the mere weeks that some refer to as "long-term"...there doesn't seem to be much info around. Will Muskie survive indefinitely in an unheated room-temperature tank? I think that Logan487 Logan487 might be the one to answer that for us...in a couple years. I am going to hazard a guess that they might live for several years, but will not be in prime condition if kept warm year-round...and might languish and eventually fall prey to some other stress-related condition. I hope I'm wrong.

wednesday13 wednesday13 , are you saying that you guys fish for Muskie through the ice? I love ice-fishing...and I revere Muskie...but I've never even considered the idea of combining the two. For me, Pike have always been the Bad Boys of hardwater fishing, the big guns that get the blood pumping when they cruise past the hole as you peer down into the water. That big toothy head coming through the hole when you catch one is a sight to see.

I picture myself frantically enlarging an 8-inch hole with a chisel, inches away from the jaws of a giant hooked Muskie who is too big to fit...:)

Sorry for the de-rail...just day-dreaming...:)

• Love
Reactions: wednesday13

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
info regarding the husbandry of these, or any, fish...was the poster .avatar--xss { width: 21px; height: 21px; line-height: 21px !important; margin-right: 2px; } P PYRU @PYRU . The OP of that thread seemed to have lifted a quote from a gas-station free handout aimed at tourist fishermen; his fanboy telling potential keepers that Muskies would prefer temps up into the 80F range was the fly on the s**tpile of that "information". :)
Tbh I didn't read through the entire thread. Thanks for the clarification.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Tbh I didn't read through the entire thread. Thanks for the clarification.
Please understand, I was in no way taking a shot at you with my comments regarding that thread.

If you haven't done so, read through the whole thing now. MFK slapstick at its finest. :)

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
That makes perfect sense when you think about it, just from a quick look at the range maps for the two species. Pike are found far further north than Muskies.

Having said that, tlindsey tlindsey ...did you read through that thread for which you provided a link? What a clown parade that was! The only person on there who seemed to actually provide worthwhile info regarding the husbandry of these, or any, fish...was the poster P PYRU . The OP of that thread seemed to have lifted a quote from a gas-station free handout aimed at tourist fishermen; his fanboy telling potential keepers that Muskies would prefer temps up into the 80F range was the fly on the s**tpile of that "information". :)

As far as long-term care...i.e. years, not the mere weeks that some refer to as "long-term"...there doesn't seem to be much info around. Will Muskie survive indefinitely in an unheated room-temperature tank? I think that Logan487 Logan487 might be the one to answer that for us...in a couple years. I am going to hazard a guess that they might live for several years, but will not be in prime condition if kept warm year-round...and might languish and eventually fall prey to some other stress-related condition. I hope I'm wrong.

wednesday13 wednesday13 , are you saying that you guys fish for Muskie through the ice? I love ice-fishing...and I revere Muskie...but I've never even considered the idea of combining the two. For me, Pike have always been the Bad Boys of hardwater fishing, the big guns that get the blood pumping when they cruise past the hole as you peer down into the water. That big toothy head coming through the hole when you catch one is a sight to see.

I picture myself frantically enlarging an 8-inch hole with a chisel, inches away from the jaws of a giant hooked Muskie who is too big to fit...:)

Sorry for the de-rail...just day-dreaming...:)
lots of “musky on ice” here in the states as well as pike… as for my immediate area of Ohio… it rarely freezes for long on my home lake and the river/creek i frequent is open water about 99% of the year. I still wade as usual and throw lures december-feb lol… its slow and tough going but they still eat. Id love to have “real ice” here.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
... Id love to have “real ice” here.
Careful what you wish for. I love having "real ice" for several months each winter; I just wish it would get no thicker than about three feet...:)

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Careful what you wish for. I love having "real ice" for several months each winter; I just wish it would get no thicker than about three feet...:)
Grass is always greener… thats a long way to auger tho i agree haha…

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Grass is always greener… thats a long way to auger tho i agree haha…
Tell me about it. :)

We don't pull fish up out of a hole; we haul them through a tunnel in the ice which is usually far longer than the actual fish itself. :nilly:

Reactions: wednesday13

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
Do Muskie even ever actually see water at 80 in their natural habitat? Lol. I've not been in the northern states during the summers before but as far as I have ever heard they seem MAYBE low 70s at the warmest. I'll keep you all posted if we do go with one, but again I am still debating what the main display will be as it was going to be the Wallago and Chinese Wels, but the more I read about the actual captive sizes vs their wild counterparts the more I am thinking they will be in a pond in the fish shed long term or one of the ponds when everything is finalized. Aside from sturgeon, any other suggestions on attractive cold water species that would be a good mix? My main hurdle is what to put with it as I would like several species in the main display.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store