Tiger Oscars Antisocial- Mother wants to give up

LAEK

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2017
On Tuesday my mother got 2 Tiger Oscars and put them in her tank, a 10 gallon, yes I know it's too small, it's only for now until she gets a 55 gal. The lady at the store reccomended Omega One cichlid pellets to feed them with.

When we put them in the tank, they went to the bottom and hid. We went to dinner and came back to find them still hiding. My mother got worried, so I went online and found out that this is natural. That eased her worries and for the past few days we passed off the hiding as them getting used to the tank.

Until yesterday my mother informed me they were not eating. The bottom of the tank was littered with uneaten pellets. She told me they would swallow them, then spit them out again. So we went back to the pet shop, only to find out we were trying to feed them large pellets. We told the woman of their extremely shy tendancies and had the water re-tested. It came back a bit high in ammonia, but not enough to cause that bad of a reaction the woman said. That and she was past due for a water change.

*sigh* So here we are today. She changed the water, and cleaned out the bottom. Once she was done, she turned on the light and sat back to watch them. They remained hidden (we kept the light off because they became slightly more active with it off). As she watched my tank, a 20 gal with 5 longfinned zebra danios, she told me about how she was ready to take them back and exchange them for angel fish.

Shocked ,and slightly angry for thinging about giving up that easily, I asked why. She said they are too shy. She wants a fish she can watch, with the light on. I told her they are babies, they need to get used to us and the new enviornment. She replied about how Delahoya, her last tiger oscar who was 5 years old, but her ex husband stole during the divorce, was never that shy. I didn't know how to respond, so I walked away.

I guess my question is...what do I tell her? I know they aren't hopeless, because I can sit watching my tank and see them moving around out of the corner of my eye. (It actually has become quite a game, it's funny to watch them slowly float to the bottom whe I say "I see you guys)

Is this behavior really normal? Will it get better? When? How? Is there any way I can help? Anything I can do? Something to ease my mothers mind?

I also uploaded some pictures of the fish and the tank.

View attachment 20170115_215303.jpg

View attachment 20170115_215333.jpg

View attachment 20170115_215417.jpg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
2 Tiger Oscars and put them in her tank, a 10 gallon, yes I know it's too small, it's only for now until she gets a 55 gal
Hello; first be prepared to get a lot of responses saying that a 55 is not enough for even one Oscar.
a bit high in ammonia, but not enough to cause that bad of a reaction the woman said. That and she was past due for a water change.
Hello; It is my understanding that there is not a level of ammonia considered to be harmless. the lower the level the better of course. This brings up the question of is the tank cycled?
Also sounds like you may need a test kit to check the water at home.

how she was ready to take them back and exchange them for angel fish.
Hello; This may be a good idea.

what do I tell her?
Hello; if a 55 gallon is the max size then it may be best to exchange the Oscars for some other fish. It also may be a better idea to get the 55 before she gets the angel fish.

Good luck

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hello; first be prepared to get a lot of responses saying that a 55 is not enough for even one Oscar.

Hello; It is my understanding that there is not a level of ammonia considered to be harmless. the lower the level the better of course. This brings up the question of is the tank cycled?
Also sounds like you may need a test kit to check the water at home.

Hello; This may be a good idea.

Hello; if a 55 gallon is the max size then it may be best to exchange the Oscars for some other fish. It also may be a better idea to get the 55 before she gets the angel fish.

Good luck
This is a good piece of advice.
Oscars IMO need around 125 gallons for pure space to swim. 2 could easily fit in there. I think getting angels is a good idea since oscars need some space to be themselves

Addicted to Cichlids

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Cichlids are one of the smarter fish species they have enough of a brain to freek our for awhile after being moved

But ya 2 Oscars really need a 125 minimum

a 55 would be great fora convict pair or some angles

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
On Tuesday my mother got 2 Tiger Oscars and put them in her tank, a 10 gallon, yes I know it's too small, it's only for now until she gets a 55 gal. The lady at the store reccomended Omega One cichlid pellets to feed them with.

When we put them in the tank, they went to the bottom and hid. We went to dinner and came back to find them still hiding. My mother got worried, so I went online and found out that this is natural. That eased her worries and for the past few days we passed off the hiding as them getting used to the tank.

Until yesterday my mother informed me they were not eating. The bottom of the tank was littered with uneaten pellets. She told me they would swallow them, then spit them out again. So we went back to the pet shop, only to find out we were trying to feed them large pellets. We told the woman of their extremely shy tendancies and had the water re-tested. It came back a bit high in ammonia, but not enough to cause that bad of a reaction the woman said. That and she was past due for a water change.

*sigh* So here we are today. She changed the water, and cleaned out the bottom. Once she was done, she turned on the light and sat back to watch them. They remained hidden (we kept the light off because they became slightly more active with it off). As she watched my tank, a 20 gal with 5 longfinned zebra danios, she told me about how she was ready to take them back and exchange them for angel fish.

Shocked ,and slightly angry for thinging about giving up that easily, I asked why. She said they are too shy. She wants a fish she can watch, with the light on. I told her they are babies, they need to get used to us and the new enviornment. She replied about how Delahoya, her last tiger oscar who was 5 years old, but her ex husband stole during the divorce, was never that shy. I didn't know how to respond, so I walked away.

I guess my question is...what do I tell her? I know they aren't hopeless, because I can sit watching my tank and see them moving around out of the corner of my eye. (It actually has become quite a game, it's funny to watch them slowly float to the bottom whe I say "I see you guys)

Is this behavior really normal? Will it get better? When? How? Is there any way I can help? Anything I can do? Something to ease my mothers mind?

View attachment 1225177

View attachment 1225178

View attachment 1225179
1.) this behavior is totally normal for Oscars and you must have patience since it may last 2 weeks or so.
2.) Oscars grow VERY VERY FAST and will become owner-responsive in no time and beg for food.
3.) Tank lights should stay OFF for several days to a week when introducing a new fish to a tank. Keep the light of for several days and see how they respond, starting now.
4.) 55g is not big enough for one Oscar, let alone 2
5.) if you take them back, don't do it in the same week you moved them, they might die at the pet store

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I think its a good idea for her to take them back.
If her intention is only a 55 gal, as others have said, its not even close to being large enough.
Angel fish would be a better fit.
But first off, did she cycle the tank? Sound like she didn't if she has ammonia, and ammonia could be one of the reasons they are hiding, because they are being poisoned by their own urine if the tank doesn't have enough of a population of ammonia consuming bacteria built up, because the tank wasn't properly cycled.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
But first off, did she cycle the tank? Sound like she didn't if she has ammonia, and ammonia could be one of the reasons they are hiding, because they are being poisoned by their own urine if the tank doesn't have enough of a population of ammonia consuming bacteria built up, because the tank wasn't properly cycled.
I was just about to ask. Either that or the massive overfeedings and messiness of oscars caused the ammonia to spike if the cycle couldn't keep up. OP, if you can spare a bit if media from your 20 gallon tank, cut some of it out and put it in the filter of the 10 for your mom, don't wash it and keep it in a bag of tank water if you have to transport it. The bacteria should help the cycle improve a bit. Once you take the oscars back she can keep that small tank running as a quarantine or use it to seed the 55's filter media. You could also have her do some other nano tank, just remember almost all cichlids are out of the question long term for a tank that small.

I'd even say the 55 would be too small for the angels if she wants to grow them out. They need a decent sized shoal too. Look for something upwards of 75, I believe they make a 75 tall tank, remember full grown angels get big height wise. Could do a huge community around the angels then.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

ClaustrophobicTurtle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

View attachment 1225177

View attachment 1225178

View attachment 1225179
You have 2 options.
1) keep the oscars. They are much more comfortable in a 55. Their hiding could be stress related and as such they wont eat.

2) get goldfish or guppies. A community tank. They dont stop swimming.

I've had both setups and found the latter to be much more 'fun'

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Guppies would be an excellent choice for the 10 gallon, they come in so many colors and variations and have great personalities. Currently I have about 15 adults and multiple fry as feeders for my cichlids in a 20 long. I may try to line breed any that look good too! Be aware though that if you want like 2-3 females and 1 male (usually recommended with livebearers, males can fight/stress the females from too much mating haha) they will breed as bad as rabbits, have a plan if you do! Perhaps they could be feeders for the angelfish? The 55 could be an excellent livebearer community though, get every type you can and your mom can sell the babies that survive to about an inch or 2 for some extra cash. When I was breeding mollies I made well over 100 bucks, but slowly haha. Paid for food at least!

Smaller fancy varieties of goldfish would be ok in the 55 for a bit, they need a group too. They are poop machines, so you will need at least 2x the filtration and a diligent vacuuming schedule. Remember they are actually omnivorous so feed veggies on top of a bug/meat diet. I have been feeding my rescues cucumbers, spinach, with occasional cichlid flakes, baby roaches, and shrimp pellets haha. I would keep the rescued ones I have right now but I have no space or money for a 200+ gallon since they are commons. They are super cute though. Unless I build some plant only filtration aquaponics thingy to hold them on my patio. :p

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
There's just too much going on here that's completely wrong! Don't feel bad. Most ALL of us have started the same way in the hobby at some point!

You can't start even a single oscar out in a 10g tank. Especially a 10g that has no established nitrogen cycle going on. Could you put a single baby O in a 10g as a quarantine or hospital tank temporarily? Sure.

You *could* do a single oscar by themselves in a 55g, but be aware that doing so will require you to do two fin-level water changes (~80%) per week to keep nitrates to a reasonable level. It's just not the best situation for you OR the fish.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store