Tilapia and where to find them..?

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Other than on Ebay, does anyone know where I can find tilapia?

Once the pond outside is done, I plan on using my 1500 indoor tank as a tilapia breeding tank so I can provide local residents with some healthy live feeders.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
dayak;4905659; said:
i dont know if you have asian markets on where u live, but most of them they do sell live tilapias :)
exactly what I was ganna say:D
Every asian market I go to around me has a huge tank CRAMMED with tilapia

ExtraMe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
philippines
in the market?
i also try to breed my tilapias but the whale shark (RTC) keeps on eating them when the mom tilapia releases them for a min or two hahaha

also tilapias are spine, be carefull feeding them to ur fish :)

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
ExtraMe;4905686; said:
also tilapias are spine, be carefull feeding them to ur fish :)
Which fish Don't have spines? :confused:

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
i think they meant the hard parts of the dorsal fin... hence people use rosies and things like that

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
green_fox;4906551; said:
i think they meant the hard parts of the dorsal fin... hence people use rosies and things like that
Ah, gotcha..

Well, the feeders would be fry so I think they would be ok. And if I start doing locally I will have the frozen option available, and I will cut the dorsal off if need be.

I found an Asian Market!!! Going to stop over this weekend and check out what they have. :headbang2

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
I used to have a tilapia and it had deep black stripes. It also didn't bother the other fish in the tank. You can find tilapia in Asian markets in Chinatown here in San Francisco but I think it's illegal to sell live fish. Also, they cram the tanks with them so the all probably are stressed and torn up. However, they do taste good, The Doctor

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store