Time: Feed > Metabolize > Waste

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
If a bacterial colony grows quickly enough that two days of heavy feeding might expand the colony dramatically then it likely shrinks at a similar rate and a couple days of no feeding in the newly set up tank likely initiates an immediate bacterial shrinkage..

Gill waste volume likely fluctuates w/ food intake which would tie back into the concept of bacterial colonies growing and shrinking on a rapid basis and maybe make 1 sponge as useful as three.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Everything I've read indicates that the bacteria with which we are concerned have a generation time measured in hours, not even days...so a colony could under ideal conditions double in size in a day or so. But I don't believe they die off as quickly; sponges that have been kept wet and aerated for days without fish present still seem to function to a useful level, maybe not all the way at 100%.

But for sure the timing would be critical for this to work as I was postulating. Having two or three mature sponges instead of one...would likely place the new tank only one day closer to full maturity and efficiency. But one day could mean the difference between a temporary ammonia spike...and none at all.

The big question in my mind is not whether or not the colony grows that fast, but rather how much a heavy feeding versus light or no feeding actually affects the ammonia output, and how fast the change in output occurs.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I agree and I know there's a way to optimize WC's, feeding and other maintenance by identifying a pattern. To do that we need a better understanding of the digestive cycle, waste output consistency and maybe a little more about bacteria. Much as with your corn experiment, there's a kernel of goodness here that needs to be better understood.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
From an old thread….

Duane's comment was spot on.

To add to that:

Not only can it utilize it, by nothing more than doing frequent massive water changes with chloramine treated tap water, and using Prime I grew my bio bacteria to a far greater capacity than what was being delivered by the fish/food in my tank. It was an experiment that I did on purpose many years ago, while I was preparing for some new fish to go into a holding tank. My tank went from a few small juvies, to I think approx. 15 adults, without a single hiccup. Since then I have repeated this a number of times, with much larger fish. No spike in ammonia or nitrites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store