Time to show my spotted gar. Enjoy.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Thanks for the kind words. I got him as a Spotted gar, to my understanding Florida gars have a black line in the middle of their bodies. Maybe I'm wrong and gar experts will correct me but Spotted or Florida I will not like him less than before.
Behavior wise he likes to swim with the arowanas back and forth, most of the time only one way across the tank - it takes him awhile to turn around while aros just glide around effortlessly. It's hilarious watching him try to keep up with arowanas and watch him reverse out of a tight spot. Oh and he greets me as soon as I come up to the tank along with oscars.
No Florida gars don't have lines down their body expect when they are juveniles. That is definitely a Florida gar.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
^^^
Ok, What are the differences between adult Spotted and Florida gars?
Pattern and body structure, obviously. They look very similar to Florida gars and there is little information on adult spotted gars because they are uncommon in trade. To my knowledge, spotted gars have larger, longer spots rather than several smaller ones like Floridas.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
^^^
Ok, What are the differences between adult Spotted and Florida gars?
other than the gene, there might be only 1-2% different in look.
Nice gar BTW, it's doesn't matter if it is spotted or not as long as you like it.

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
Thanks guys. It doesn't matter to me that it's Florida - I still like it alot.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
Great fish! What size tank is that? Everyone looks healthy. I have had my gar for 16 years. Looking for another 16.

gamelovers11223

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2013
NY
I do too, what do you feed it? It has an excellent pattern
I feed it fresh frozen shrimp only, the regular Chinese market ones. He loves it and sometimes fights for a piece and then runs away with it, then devours it. It's crazy to see how big of a pice she can actually swallow. I also add salt with every water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store