Tiny discovery that is definately worth sharing.

Cryogenetica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2011
Brisbane
So I've just finished reading through 23 pages of all inspiring and thought provoking experimental goodness! An absolute gem (full credit to all those who have tried these methods and incorporated it into their setups.

Over the coming months I will be building a 2 tank each 8ft (L) x 4ft (W) 2ft (D) setup which will house rays the water will be running through a 180 liter hot water cylinder which I am converting into a filter. Im not sure what volume of pump to use (suggestions would be appreciated)

Im currently in the middle of planning my filter layout which will now include plants and a light :D. Sooo if I planned my 'tower' or "giant tower of bacterial doom" correctly do you think it would be a viable option to have quite a number of plants suspended in old school fry breeders floated with some kind of Styrofoam inside the fry breeder (essentially a floating square of plant).

I will need to put a light on the inside of the tower which will be set on a timer. I spose the only thing left to do would be to make sure the water flow into the tower wasn't so fierce that it presses the plants against the roof.

I'm open to constructive criticism or wishes of luck. Just let me find my riot armor.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I did put some vines in some of my small aquariums 2-3 weeks ago, they are now starting to grow roots, ive tested with several types of plants.. You can see very well were the nitrates are highest by the growth on the roots.

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have had pothos plants in my sump now for about 3 weeks, and in the last week the plants' roots have almost doubled... they are looking good, and i think they are doing their job

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
1/25/2011:

2/17/2011:

Still doing weekly 50% water changes. Nitrates have decreased since adding the Pothos, but nothing remarkable yet.

Edit: Just wanted to add, I have also noticed a decrease in algae growing on the glass.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
^ interesting way to mount the plants, I may have to give that a try. Over the past few months I've added pothos to every one of my display tanks and the plants are thriving.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store