Tiny Tropicals

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Nah, no worries at all, I don't mind
Thanks!
By dried floating shrimps do you mean krill?
Yes
And if you do are you presoaking it?
No
You can also try breaking it(if it is Krill) in half before soaking it to make it easier for the Gar to swallow.
The krill are only .25 to 1 inch in length, are they still big?
usually have no issue with Gars but these 2 are smaller than I ever had and like you I worry because of their size and age they may not have the reserves to endure long periods without food.
Yeah I understand what you are going through. Hope you have better luck than me

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks! Yes, No The krill are only .25 to 1 inch in length, are they still big?
Yeah I understand what you are going through. Hope you have better luck than me
Yeah, it's no problem. You're within the topic of the thread and I personally don't care about derails unless they interfere with the OP's topic or are argumentative and disrupt the thread for the other members. It's actually what the derail rule is for, to prevent offending the OP by taking their topic off of what they're trying to get answered. So as long as the post doesn't disrupt the flow it's within TOS such as friendly banter between members is fine unless it overtakes the thread as an example.

Gars just have narrow mouths and Krill are curved into almost a circle which can make it harder for them to swallow and manipulate in their mouths to get into a optimal position to swallow. You should also soak the Krill as their shells make them quite hard in their freeze-dried form. Their legs can poke the Gars when dry making them spit it out.

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
I raised a wild caught long nose on mosquito larvae and fresh born guppy fry or atleast the smallest I could get outta the tank idk if anyone suggested mosquito larvae or not but it's worked wonders for me

Reactions: koltsixx and AR1

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Yeah, it's no problem. You're within the topic of the thread and I personally don't care about derails unless they interfere with the OP's topic or are argumentative and disrupt the thread for the other members. It's actually what the derail rule is for, to prevent offending the OP by taking their topic off of what they're trying to get answered. So as long as the post doesn't disrupt the flow it's within TOS such as friendly banter between members is fine unless it overtakes the thread as an example.

Gars just have narrow mouths and Krill are curved into almost a circle which can make it harder for them to swallow and manipulate in their mouths to get into a optimal position to swallow. You should also soak the Krill as their shells make them quite hard in their freeze-dried form. Their legs can poke the Gars when dry making them spit it out.
Thanks a lot!. I will try soaking the krills in water and feeding only the smallest ones to the gar, hopefully it will eat soon. Otherwise, i will try catching some bugs for it.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I raised a wild caught long nose on mosquito larvae and fresh born guppy fry or atleast the smallest I could get outta the tank idk if anyone suggested mosquito larvae or not but it's worked wonders for me
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check and see if I can source some. Unfortunately, I am allergic though. 🤣 Even the bloodworms mess with me but I'll endure for the little guys.

Thanks a lot!. I will try soaking the krills in water and feeding only the smallest ones to the gar, hopefully it will eat soon. Otherwise, i will try catching some bugs for it.
No problem, I hope it helps and feel free to post updates here if you want. Hopefully you'll be posting the Gar started eating soon.

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check and see if I can source some. Unfortunately, I am allergic though. 🤣 Even the bloodworms mess with me but I'll endure for the little guys.

No problem, I hope it helps and feel free to post updates here if you want. Hopefully you'll be posting the Gar started eating soon.
Good news! my gar just ate 5 krills today! I was over the moon man. Your advice on soaking the krills first worked. I put about 15 soaked krills and ate those which were going with the flow, must have thought them to be live fish. I wished i took s photo.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Good news! my gar just ate 5 krills today! I was over the moon man. Your advice on soaking the krills first worked. I put about 15 soaked krills and ate those which were going with the flow, must have thought them to be live fish. I wished i took s photo.
Awesome! I'm really glad it helped, and your Gar is eating now. And no worries on the pics you'll have plenty of time in future to take one. Good stuff. :thumbsup: 👍

Reactions: AR1

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
... I put about 15 soaked krills and ate those which were going with the flow...
Okay, so...you ate a bunch of those krill yourself, and the gar took the cue and proceeded to gobble up a few before you got to them all?

Nicely done! Personally, I think I would have waited quite a bit longer before trying this option; maybe I am not as dedicated as you are...but congrats! Are you going to transition yourself to pellets next? :) I hear Massivore is tasty!

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Okay, so...you ate a bunch of those krill yourself, and the gar took the cue and proceeded to gobble up a few before you got to them all?

Nicely done! Personally, I think I would have waited quite a bit longer before trying this option; maybe I am not as dedicated as you are...but congrats! Are you going to transition yourself to pellets next? :) I hear Massivore is tasty!
i was so excited that i must have forgotten to write the "it" part, much to my regret, lol
I had a feeling that you might read this particular post, but i hoping that maybe, just maybe, you would overlook it and spare me. As soon as koltix reacted to my post, i got a notification and once i reread it, i rushed to find that darn edit button, since i knew you were watching this thread. But poof, it was gone. Know i have become a victim of your sarcasm, just like other poor MFKers, lol.

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Are you going to transition yourself to pellets next? :) I hear Massivore is tasty!
maybe i will, who knows! i am well known in my family to do crazy things, adding another one on the list won't hurt now, will it,lol. Besides the way my pacu absolutely gobbles those things down has always allured me :drool::drool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store