Tips for getting your wife/ girlfriend to let you get a BIG fishtank

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Dan Feller;4814967; said:
It took some work getting my wife to approve my plans for a new 210G.

First of all, make it attractive. A stand and hood that matches your home's cabinetry will make the tank look like a part of the house rather than a big box full of fish sitting in the living room.

Secondly, if you can move the filtration out of the stand (mine is in the crawl-space) it will keep all the mess out of the living room. Plus, all the extra storage in the stand was definitely a huge selling point.

Just my $.02! :D
This is the key...make it part of your house.

kadama

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
orange/inland empire county
To the guy asking about convincing the parents: you have to find a deal for a tank that sounds better then the one you have. Also make it sound like your not going to spend money on it, or their going to be against it

artes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2011
Alabama
My way of convincing the husband is to surprise him when he gets home. Its easier to beg for forgiveness with hugs than ask for permission. >_>

vwilliams1475

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
i have a new angle for my bigger tank. I told my mother i would finish the basement so i can have a place to it that wont cave a floor(very old house). she gets a nice basment i get a nice new tank.;) Also i plan on marriing my current gf :naughty: so i thought if i get the big tank now she cant complain when i put it in are new house. :D

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
artes;4956252; said:
My way of convincing the husband is to surprise him when he gets home. Its easier to beg for forgiveness with hugs than ask for permission. >_>
I don't understand why a man won't want a fish tank. It's usually the wife/girlfriend that objects. It blows my mind. I had a hard time convincing my girl, so I did what you did.

Maki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2007
michigan
This worked for me more than once and it worked on both my parents and my new girl friend. I start by showing them some of the cool looking fish we can buy and I always start out with the real expensive salt water marine fish. Then I find a tank for sale in craigslist or the news paper one that is really cheap knowing that I will be spending a small fortune on everything else. Then I spring it on them and tell them that they can pick out the fish that we will put in the tank. That's it, next thing you know you are bringing home a tank and filling it with water. Here comes the best part, you set up the tank for the type of fish you really wanted and now they have to buy in that area or group of fish.

hippiglass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
riverside CA
what i did to talk the wife into it was come home with a small tank...i bought a 10gal tank "for my son" got some colorfull fish in there and she loved it..she said she wanted to pick out some fish soo i said a big tank will look good right there in that empty spot in the living room..she said ya it would look nice...... and thats all i needed hahaha went out the next day and bought a 110 gal and it looks awesome in the living room...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store