Tips for raising flowerhorn fry

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
Hey guys I'm currently taking care of some flowerhorn fry that my friend gave to me and I need some tips on how to raise them. It seems like alot are dying off from some kind of bloat or something. There bellies are bulging whwn I find them dead and I only feed them flake food about 2wice a day. I need tips such as water parameters, temperature, food d to feed, how many times a day to feed, lighting, tank size, ideal tank setup (gravel, decorations ect.)filtration water changes. they are currently about 1-2 months old in a 40b with a sponge filter. Bare bottom with a few decorations. They have a shop light above there tank on a rack system for a line of 40b.Thanks

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
1-2 month, they should be 1/2" to 1". How many have you got? The more you have, the better at this size. They're more secure within a group and forced to compete for food. I used to feed them every chance I get...5-6 times daily. Any kind of flake will work. I'd set temp at 86. Your setup is fine. Water changes may be more frequent with the amount of feeding.

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
I got about 20 left out of like 70. Is the temperature really important cuz right now mine is at about 76 degrees.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
I got about 20 left out of like 70. Is the temperature really important cuz right now mine is at about 76 degrees.
Higher temp leads to being more active, they'll consume more and grow faster. 76 is not extremely cold for them, but I'd raise the temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store