Tips with friends ray. Skinny amd not that active

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Looking for tips on my friends female bd, i'm keeping it for him , he mentioned it was stressed by his male boesmani wanting to mate . The female bd is 3 inches and 2 years old. It has a sunken back already, but it does eat a little , not like notmal ray appettite though . Its been with my for about 8 days now , i've placed it with my 14 inch immature male bd.
The temp is currently set to 28 deg , ph is ar 7.5. Tankmates are some clownloaches.

Its not really that active and also seeks to get tired when eating . Appettite is not that good .

Any tips? She's a little skinny and appettite still not that good, should
I separate her with my male bd?

Current tank is 350 gallon with 180
Gal
Sump

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I would separate. While it may not be having issues with your male, stressed rays go down hill fast. It may be one night where the male gets too excited and stresses her out too much.

I wouldn't have placed them together personally as you may be dealing with a pathogen, meaning your ray could also be susceptible.

Divide it away from all other fish. While the loaches may not be harming her, they can stress her out and that could be the end of the ray. Focus on getting her eating right
then you can have her in a community again.

Try nightcrawlers and see if you can pack some weight on her. Private tank, and keep it dark and it should come back.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I would separate. While it may not be having issues with your male, stressed rays go down hill fast. It may be one night where the male gets too excited and stresses her out too much.

I wouldn't have placed them together personally as you may be dealing with a pathogen, meaning your ray could also be susceptible.

Divide it away from all other fish. While the loaches may not be harming her, they can stress her out and that could be the end of the ray. Focus on getting her eating right
then you can have her in a community again.

Try nightcrawlers and see if you can pack some weight on her. Private tank, and keep it dark and it should come back.
Thanks, i think my male might be causing her stress too I'be placed a divider in between them now. She does eat but not like other rays that pounce in food , she will just sucks some in front of her into her mouth . Yup i should have quarantined her in another tank first . But so far my old ray seems to be ok , did not think of quarantining her as my friend has kept her for 2 years and he said it only got skinny recently when his male started harassing her.

Reactions: Damascus

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I'm thinking i might have made a mistake again on Adding her directly into my existing males tank :(
My male has stopped eating now though he is really really active.
I have already gone through 2 doses of prazi. So far not muvh improvement to the female and my male has stped eating :(
This female has been with my friend for 2 years .
I'm thinking do Rays get Hexamita ?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I'm thinking i might have made a mistake again on Adding her directly into my existing males tank :(
My male has stopped eating now though he is really really active.
I have already gone through 2 doses of prazi. So far not muvh improvement to the female and my male has stped eating :(
This female has been with my friend for 2 years .
I'm thinking do Rays get Hexamita ?
2 doses of prazi already? How??

I do a dose of prazi for the tank (1 oz per 120 g as the bottle says) and if I do a water change, ex. 60 gallons on a 120, I redose for the water I changed so I would add half an oz.

That dose should run for a week. I then add carbon and do a water change, leave it for a few days and repeat. If you double dosed, you can kill an already stressed ray. A prazi treatment in my tank runs for a little over 2 weeks. 2 1 week treatments and a day or 2 gap in-between.

With all due respect to your friend, you never know what may be in someone else's tank and you may be finding out out hard way. Unless it is a tank you take care of, never risk anything you aren't willing to lose.

Rays will sometimes not eat the first day of a treatment or their appetite will be reduced.

Shut your lights off, and double check your use of meds and make sure you are using these meds correctly.

Consider use of kanaplex, or metro with prazi.

The excessive activity tells me something is off with your water and the ray is trying to escape to better conditions. This is basic fight or flight behavior with a stressor and when it's environmental, they want to leave it to find better conditions.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Thanks:) what did was i dosed the tank with prazi, then on the fourth day i did a 30% water change and redosed again.
Then after 4 days again , i did a 30% water change again. Right now i have been doing daily 30% , and trying to feed her 3-4 times a day , i also added another heater i think ahe seems to be inproving and more active.
I should have a quarantine tank for big rays but wasn't expecting my friends ray . I was worried i
Might have inteoduced something nasty to my other ray.
I've been soaking the food in garlic guard and vitachem hoping it will help her appettite.

Reactions: Matteus

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Thanks guys , after 2nd day of treating with metro and increased heat , her appetite is that of a normal rays now. She was able
To
Eat 4 pcs market prawn, 2 in the morning and 2
In the afternon . Hope she fattens up quickly and grows

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Here she is now after treatment with Metronidazole, I'm
Trying to feed her 3x a day to hopefully fatten her up quickly
She's able
To eat 5 pcs market prawn.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Mmmmm she only wants mp :( when given fish or krill , she just keeps in chewing making a mess :( any tips? My friend used to feed her mp and fish . But she doesnt seem to want to eat fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store