To Cave or not to Cave

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I have a cave and some dw my ornate and del dont hide at all but they do hang out where there is cover sometimes.. if were me i would want the fish to feel somewhat secure try some mopani dw.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Just fine a good piece of drift wood that allows them to go underneath without obstructing your view of the fish. best of both worlds.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
the big one is almost 2ft long.

For the OP, you can also try floating driftwood and mangrove root (tree stump) type. Here's a old pic of my floating driftwood - it was not intended to float but i can't sink that wood. My bichirs like to perch on the branches like birds.

IMG_0319.JPG
Here's also my Frankenstein Bonsai on another tank though.
IMG_4271.JPG

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Cave, driftwood, or plants would be a fine addition to reduce stress. Do they need it? No. Most fish stores don't use decorations (with most fish) so that their fish will be displayed and they are easier to catch. However, you should give your fish a better life than a store.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I'd say don't do a cave but definitely have some kind of cover. The way I placed the wood in my tank I kinda accidentally created a cave and now my bichirs spend more time hiding under that then being out in the open :\
Seriously I see my retro once in a blue moon...and its a pretty fish lol

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I'd say don't do a cave but definitely have some kind of cover. The way I placed the wood in my tank I kinda accidentally created a cave and now my bichirs spend more time hiding under that then being out in the open :\
Seriously I see my retro once in a blue moon...and its a pretty fish lol
My retro is out and about quite a few times. Now it's even sit and watch TV from aquarium as well :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store