Too small?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
They should all be fine in the 55.

He just informed me that fish only grow to the size of their homes.

His father, infact, kept a Volitan Lionfish in a 45g Hex for nearly 3 years, and it did not exceed 5".. Congratulations! You've stunted the growth of your fish! Not to mention taken years off their life span, but they probably won't make it that far anyways. Good Work on providing an improper home for your 'Pets!'.. Cruelty is awesome!

Don't forget! Saltwater fish are disposable, and who cares if they die! It's likely that we ALL work at a Pet Store, and can trade/mix fish whenever we feel like it.. So just go through Saltwater fish like they are popcorn, because who wants to see the reef life in the Oceans anyways! Let's harvest the bright, pretty fish and throw them into tiny captive glass boxes, so we can stunt their growth.. All the cool people are doing it.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
o.k. everyone play nice now!
:headshake

mbhw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Your tank is too small. If you truly have a 240, set it up and place the fish in there. FYI - blue ribbon eels - in 20+ years in the hobby, I've only seen one that ate in captivity. They shouldn't even be allowed to be sold, they don't live. Don't waste time with them again, your throwing money down the toilet. I used to work in a pet store and sold hundreds of them, and they always died. People just never learn. Good luck with your fish.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
mbhw said:
Your tank is too small. If you truly have a 240, set it up and place the fish in there. FYI - blue ribbon eels - in 20+ years in the hobby, I've only seen one that ate in captivity. They shouldn't even be allowed to be sold, they don't live. Don't waste time with them again, your throwing money down the toilet. I used to work in a pet store and sold hundreds of them, and they always died. People just never learn. Good luck with your fish.
They can be kept but it takes a lucky expert. The only healthy ones I have seen were kept proffesionally in public aquaria.

mbhw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Have you ever seen your blue ribbon eat? That is a rarity. They can go for quite a while with no food, then they waste away. I'm not criticizing you, just stating a fact. 99.9999999% of all BRE imported into captivity die. Good luck, I hope you are the rare exception.

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
Yes he is eating and I knew the risk before I bought him and I made the store I got him from show me he was eating. and he did so I bought him and hes been eating regularly since. Hes pretty young.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store