totally shocked and confused

freshwaterfishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Well depending really on how many are in the tank and the amount of hiding spaces, it would have been easy though to switch some stuff around within the past month and carry some eggs from one tank to another.

bikim420_2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
maine usa
picasaweb.google.com
wierd ive noticed no agression and i honestly dont remember taking anything out of the tank . if had same items in it many mths and its 1 thats almost impossible to get anything out of its on metal stand under another tank and has fancy metal details sticking down preventing anything from being removed its so tight i can hardly get a small syphon in it to do water change and almost impossibleget a netin to try catch a fish

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
I don't know how they got there but it's obvious that babies from your mbuna tank got into your con tank. They didn't just miraculously appear. If you didn't have mbuna at all I'd be stumped but you have the same adult zebra in your mbuna tank as the babies in the con tank. How they got from the adult tank to the con tank is the puzzle and frankly I wouldn't put too much thought into it. If you can't recall well then it just happened. Moved decor? Shared a filter or net? I've personally had female mbuna spit a mouthfull of fry just from fright of seeing the net hit the water. What about your siphon hose? All possibilities.
As for not noticing spawning behavior or aggression due to spawning behavior, it's not surprising. With 40 fish crammed into a 55 gallon tank I can't imagine your fish could make a target out of anyone else. Dominant males don't target ripe females, they simply lure them to the breeding site and in a tank packed so full the act of finding a spawning site, perfecting it, defending it, luring a female into it, spawning in it and moving on may only take a few hours. This is how even a subdominant male can sneak himself a bit of action in a tank with a dominant male defending a permanent territory.

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
sour_girl;2617751; said:
Maybe there was eggs in the net from the african tank and when you scooped out the convict babies they miraculously survived..
sounds like the only reasonable explanation to me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store