Touch Pool

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Hmm...can you point me to a thread where I can learn more about this? I don't doubt you, but this just seems incredibly interesting.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Read the sticky on tank size recommendations.
The Sharks need an open water footprint to fallow their natural swim/glide pattern to not cause spine deformities and other not so great things.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Reading through this, and have a few questions. If I ever get juvenile bonnets and cownoses, would it be better to put them in the tanks for adulthood? Or would I be better off putting them in smaller tanks then move them to the adult tanks?

Regarding food: Not something I'd do on a constant basis, but what are y'alls thoughts on adding properly quarantined live shrimp, oysters, clams, and fish to the aquarium every once in a while to provide...is the word enrichment right?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Reading through this, and have a few questions. If I ever get juvenile bonnets and cownoses, would it be better to put them in the tanks for adulthood? Or would I be better off putting them in smaller tanks then move them to the adult tanks?

Regarding food: Not something I'd do on a constant basis, but what are y'alls thoughts on adding properly quarantined live shrimp, oysters, clams, and fish to the aquarium every once in a while to provide...is the word enrichment right?
I would start them eating and Healthy in quarantine then put them into the big tank. But always have a quarantine ready for an emergency.

I wouldn't waste my time with quarantined feeders.
Zoodiver might have a different opinion on that though.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Hmm...went ahead and asked on a new thread, but had a question pop up while typing.

How would I stock this??!!! I mean, a 35x 15 foot oval is pretty dang big, especially when you factor it being anywhere from 3 feet to 4 feet tall, but what's the best stocking plan for this? I can't very well add 15 cownoses, and 5 bonnetheads and call it a day, as that just seems like way overstocking, as well as a curse on the wallet. For a "touch pool" such as this, is this original stocking plan good enough, with a pair of banded bamboo sharks, 3 bonnets, and 3 cownoses? How many would be best for the animals, not me, but the animals. Please don't respond with "they're best left in the ocean."

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Also, are my calculations correct in that an oval pool of this size would be approximately 37,000 gallons?! at 35'X15'X3'?

man...that's a lot of salt...

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Also, are my calculations correct in that an oval pool of this size would be approximately 37,000 gallons?! at 35'X15'X3'?

man...that's a lot of salt...
It would be great if you added another foot or two to the width. But yes it's the minnimum.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aggressive By Nature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Boynton Beach, FL
If you are actually serious, Make sure you put an acrylic viewing window in it. Because I wish
i did when I did my 500. and I definetley will with my 1500.

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
You are asking the right questions here, i am out of my league on the touch pool but keep asking good questions.

AR577

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2014
N.America
I don't chime in often but this thread is so fascinating I just wanted to ask a few questions. Do you have a saltwater aquarium now? You have a spot for a 35ftx15ft pond? In your first post you stated you don't have much money. You plan on having a 37,000 gallon pond. That means you need 185 boxes of instant ocean salt.If you pay 25 dollars a box it will cost you 4,625 dollars just in salt. This doesn't include saltwater which is needed for your fuge, sump, bead filter, protein skimmer, UV and all the other equipment. Just wanted to put that in perspective. For a 4ft deep pond you will meed some strong building material. That is a lot of pressure. What material are you using for the build?I can't wait to see the finished product. Most touch pools I see are very shallow. It makes it easier to touch the animals. 4ft is pretty deep. a 35ft x 15ft oval tak that is 4 ft deep will make a cool dive tank. It can be a dive/snorkel touch tank. That is a much better idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store