Transferring tiger fish

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
All I know is that when I transferred my 12" arowana, 15" vittatus, 12" datnoids. 9" stingrays, the bag method worked perfectly. The old fashion nets r good, only issue is that with arowanas or tigers, u would need a second net or cover ur hands over the opening to prevent jumping out. I have no idea how ur jardini busted through a plastic bag. The big monster plastic bags from the LFS r so thick, I just dont know what to say about the jardini breaking through it.
The Jar was over 2', didn't fit real well in any bag I had but big black construction type bags. Have no idea how it happened either but it shot right out the side, skipping across the kitchen floor. I guess I just tend to think if they can bite through a rubber net if they get the right hold they're going through a bag too. Some of them teeth are purdy sharp! Some of these things can cause serious damage to a guy if instinct kicked in an you just went and tried to pick up a toothy fish in the event it's on the ground. I recently took some under jaw wolf pics and handling these things is something I often overlook, it can "get real" real fast - scary quick.....lol

I'm also not too keen on putting hands in the tanks here so using nets makes the most sense. I've always wondered how big or small a wolf could be and still be capable of removing a finger. Definitely not a good idea to stick your hand over the top of the net with toothy stuff, lol I just use a second net - the ol clam shell method.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I've gone through so many large nets already, it's a pain in the ass when big toothy fish bite through the net and then their body is stuck midway at the dorsal with the net doing damage as they are going crazy. I've moved plenty of arowanas and even my large ATF back and forth before. It is indeed a pain in the ass but these days I just net and throw into a big ice chest cooler filled with the tank water and simply dump into the other tank. I am also weary of putting my hands in the water while catching with a bag as I have been bit by wolves before. Twice actually, arowana bites feel like sand paper with some blunt force. Wolves and snakeheads on the other hand hurt and draw blood immediately. I have to move two 20" armatus sometime later this year from my friend, now that will be kind of scary. They are massive and no joke to handle.

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Just be careful if you're thinking of pouring him back in with the bucket, my atf jumped out the bucket as I was pouring him in his new tank.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
That happened to me already before when I moved my smaller gatf, now I make sure to have a friend help with the move and hold over head a large net just in case. Atfs sure can jump..

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Seems like I have to move my VATF to a friends tank. My GATF just over night turned very angry at the VATF and is mauling it. :( gonna be a pain in the ass transferring 30-40 minutes away.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
That's a shame. The gatf has been outgrowing him. Good luck with the move.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Yes me too, probably going to do it tmr morning. Getting things ready for it is a pain, large styrofoam box, bag, battery powered air pump etc. thanks for the thoughts. Just don't want to lose my VATF since I just lost my smaller gatf which was measured at 35cm already..

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yes me too, probably going to do it tmr morning. Getting things ready for it is a pain, large styrofoam box, bag, battery powered air pump etc. thanks for the thoughts. Just don't want to lose my VATF since I just lost my smaller gatf which was measured at 35cm already..
Don't think you posted about that, if so I missed it, was it the larger gatf too? Sorry for the loss

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
moe214 moe214 no I didn't post about it, it happened while I was on vacation in Japan when I gave it to my friend to take care of. My big gatf is still here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store