Treating for mouth rot?

88GT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Texas
I think it is mouth rot. I treated with arethrimycin (sp) for 4 days and it got better, but it wont heal, and is getting worse locally. I have Cephalexin which is another type of antibiotic. can I treat with that? Here is a pic of the fish. the 2nd pic is another fish I put down. The 1st pic is the fish that I still have but its looking alot like the fish in pic2. what can I do to save this guy? Eating is hit and miss, with mostly miss lately. Nitrates are high (40ppm) but cant get them lower. Thanks for any help

fish.jpg

fish2.jpg

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Looks more like a injury. Add salt & mela-fix. keep an eye on it. If it start to look like cotton growth, Buy Forma-Green

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Maracyn 2 can be used for suspected bacterial infection.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Check your water parammeters to see if you have allready killed your bio-bacteria with those antiboitics. And if you have then treat it with maracyn and if the water is still fine with no ammonia or nitrites then set up a hospital tank and treat that fish with maracyn. I would treat it for 5-7 days doing a 10% water change to the hospital tank each day and then adding the maracyn after each change. Also some salt will help in healing about 1tbs to each 5gallons. It definetly looks to be infected so antibiotics are more than likely your only hope. You just have to use the right ones for the infection and not kill your bio-filter in the process. These fish can be saved.

88GT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Texas
hybridtheoryd16;2308113; said:
Check your water parammeters to see if you have allready killed your bio-bacteria with those antiboitics. And if you have then treat it with maracyn and if the water is still fine with no ammonia or nitrites then set up a hospital tank and treat that fish with maracyn. I would treat it for 5-7 days doing a 10% water change to the hospital tank each day and then adding the maracyn after each change. Also some salt will help in healing about 1tbs to each 5gallons. It definetly looks to be infected so antibiotics are more than likely your only hope. You just have to use the right ones for the infection and not kill your bio-filter in the process. These fish can be saved.
Thanks. I'll check, but I bypassed the bio filter when I treated. Will they eat readilly in a hospital tank? Hes not really eating again. More like maybe tasting something and spitting it out, if he even looks at it :(

88GT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Texas
all I really have for a hospital tank is a bath tub. would that work? I wouldnt be able to view him well though

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
what fish is that btw?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store