Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi, thanks for this brilliant thread, I have a question though....

I get that using 15g to 500ml water and soaking pellets is good for the feed, what dose would I use if I wanted to add epsom salts directly to the tank?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
With S. vortens, in order to be effective the magnesium sulfate needs to get directly to the gut.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
With S. vortens, in order to be effective the magnesium sulfate needs to get directly to the gut.
Thanks for the reply, I realize that, but my question was in relation to adding MgSO4 directly to the tank....

What has happened in my case is,I adopted a fish, didn't quarantine it, it had worms and infected my tank....

I treated with Prazi but some of my fish still have fat guts, I know the worms are gone, but the fish seem constipated, they are eating well, but I read that I can add MgSO4 to the waterand it will have a laxative effect.....

I was hoping you guys might know the dose for adding directly to the water...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This topic is regarding treating S. vortens, so I assumed that's what your question was regarding.

Prazi is only effective at treating flatworms, there are plenty of other worms that it will be totally ineffective at treating so you may want to consider a different deworming agent, instead of simply treating your tank water with magensium sulfate. But to answer your question, approx 1 tablespoon per gallon will act as a purgitive agent on your fish. Good luck!

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
This topic is regarding treating S. vortens, so I assumed that's what your question was regarding.

Prazi is only effective at treating flatworms, there are plenty of other worms that it will be totally ineffective at treating so you may want to consider a different deworming agent, instead of simply treating your tank water with magensium sulfate. But to answer your question, approx 1 tablespoon per gallon will act as a purgitive agent on your fish. Good luck!
What worming agent would you suggest? I have Levamisole available....

Thanks

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
But to answer your question, approx 1 tablespoon per gallon will act as a purgitive agent on your fish. Good luck!
So by my calculation, 4 gallon is 3.8l, my tank is 320l.

320/3.8= 84 tablespoons....is that correct?

Just seems like a lot!!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sorry, short term bath, 1 tablespoon per gallon. Long term (in tank) dose 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons should do the trick. Levamisole is very effective for treating nematodes. (round worms)

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Sorry, short term bath, 1 tablespoon per gallon. Long term (in tank) dose 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons should do the trick. Levamisole is very effective for treating nematodes. (round worms)
What's the dosage for Levamosole?

Thanks for all your advice man!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The scientific community considers 2ppm of Levasimole HCl to be an adequate dosage, which works out to 1gr per 100 gallons, not 5gr per 100 gallons as constantly reported on the internet. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa091

Dr. Yanong also suggests that the treatment duration be 24 hrs, then repeated 2-3 weeks later to kill any remaining eggs.

joan

Feeder Fish
Jun 16, 2015
The scientific community considers 2ppm of Levasimole HCl to be an adequate dosage, which works out to 1gr per 100 gallons, not 5gr per 100 gallons as constantly reported on the internet. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa091

Dr. Yanong also suggests that the treatment duration be 24 hrs, then repeated 2-3 weeks later to kill any remaining eggs.

Reading this thread with great interest...dealing with a 10 year old female King Kong Blood Parrot who has stopped eating x 3weeks, not bloated or emaciated, but has all the symptoms of Hex. Had my vet look at a fecal sample and water sample and she said she " sees a Jungle " and doesn't know what is good or bad. Treated for hex with metro once already to no avail. Vet saw " eggs " of some sort. Going to try epsom salt , but she isn't eating, so do a water tx with epsom salt ? IF it's worms, where do I buy Levasimole ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store