treating ich

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
In treating my SA tank I took the temp slowly up to 90. Do you think this is crazy I know normally their temp range can be as high as 86 so thought it would be fine. Nobody got stressed out but a guy on another forum called me crazy and stupid, I say if it works than why not!

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I would lower it if I were you, me heater got that hot and within in 2 days it killed my fish, sadly I wasnt home either one of those days so I couldnt catch it. 82 degrees should be fine for treating ich. But I really dont think its a good idea to put the temp at 90 - bad idea. I think that is to hot for them.

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
raising the temperature only speeds up the life cycle of the parasite so it'll be in it's vulnerable form before it is attached to the fish, chemical treatment or salt concentration is what actually kills the parasites, there is no need to stress your fish with higher temperature than is necessary, 82-86 is good

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Actually studies have shown that most strains stop reproducing around 86-88 degrees F and die off before reaching tomite stage but there are at least two strains, one from Florida and one from China that will survive this. The Chinese one survives to at least 91 degrees. Quite a few fish, especially asians, will survive temps that high if the O2 levels are high enough.
I prefer the salt and heat method as so far those strains of ich that are heat tolerant can't survive salt and vice versa.

BDawg364

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Milledgeville/Alpharetta
OK, what kind of salt do I use? And do I add the ichex with the salt or use salt alone?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I would not use the ichex at all, I haven't used anything but salt and heat for many years (since poisoning some loaches because I did not completely read the label on a formalin based product), but have never had the salt treatment fail.
It is best to use aquarium salt or ice cream/canning salt. I am leery of table salt because of the anti-caking aluminum salts added to it. Don't use sea salt if for no other reason than the buffers and expense.

BDawg364

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2006
Milledgeville/Alpharetta
OK, so I didn't have any aquarium salt on hand, and I wanted to do something for my GT before I went to bed. I raised the temp on the heaters (they don't have a temp gauge, so i just turned them up a few notches and I did about a 20 percent water change. I added warmer water to help the heaters raise the temp, and I added a pretty small dosage of ichex just to have something to help battle out the ich. Is there anything else I could do in the next 20 minutes or so?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store