Treating Velvet?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try Seachem paraguard or you could just do malachite green and salt in the main tank and a daily 30min methylene blue bath in separate tank/container.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just keep the lights off during the 7 day treatment. Darkness will weaken the oodium and allow the meds to work better. Dark is a key component. Keep us posted,good luck.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Hey ive got some follow up questions.. So it looks like the velvet is finally starting to get better. My worry now is my Lima Shovelose Cat. His eyes have turned cloudy and his whiskers look like they're shriveling up dying. Could he be really stressed or could this be a secondary infections? Thanks so much for the help.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Could well be chemically burned...LSC are sensitive to chemicals(Malachite Green, algaefix, etc.).

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yeah im starting to thinks that's the case. My other catfish, a pictus has the exact symptoms. Both catfish at this point have lost there whiskers and have just buds at the base, plus cloudy eye and torn up fins. I've lost three fish :( but everyone that has survived is looking better. I'm going to cut the para guard dose in half to help out the catfish.. Also considering adding some triple sulfa, ive read it can be mixed with para gurad and help out with some of the secondary infections and make the paragurad less bothersome to sensitive fish. Good Idea? Also is triple sulfa filter safe?? Thanks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yeah im starting to thinks that's the case. My other catfish, a pictus has the exact symptoms. Both catfish at this point have lost there whiskers and have just buds at the base, plus cloudy eye and torn up fins. I've lost three fish :( but everyone that has survived is looking better. I'm going to cut the para guard dose in half to help out the catfish.. Also considering adding some triple sulfa, ive read it can be mixed with para gurad and help out with some of the secondary infections and make the paragurad less bothersome to sensitive fish. Good Idea? Also is triple sulfa filter safe?? Thanks
paraguard and triple sulfa work very well together and yes supposedly it does buffer the stress it puts on sensitive fish. I don't know if triple sulfa is biofilter safe but I wouldn't worry about that at the moment I'd get my fish cured first. keep an eye on your water params and do small frequent water changes if you notice a spike in any of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store