Tried a diy I saw on YouTube and actually like it

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Did some additional mods from what I saw on Uaru Joey's channel but I'm loving the ease of it. In the process of ordering a 375 gallon and will have 2 of these on top also a custom built canopy to hide all of the mess.

Note this is just a trial run on my 150 until the 375 arrives and is set up. The pvc pipes will be painted black to match the background and the pump inside the aquarium will be hidden by driftwood and plants.

So top drawer has a sheet of 3/4 inch course foam cut to size (similar to the pads in the fx5/fx6) then under the foam is a 50 micron filter sheet cut to size. Then egg crate cut to size

2nd and 3rd drawers are stuffed with pot scrubbies about 200 in each drawer

4th drawer I have to 2 holes cut out about 3inches from the top that leads to 2 drain pipes so water collects about 7 inches in that drawer then drains out the 2 pipes back into the tank. Inside that drawe I have a 300 watt heater suctioned to a piece of glass so it won't damage the plastic 3 bags of purigen and a ton of fluval bio max rings.

So for those of you that don't know how it works, here goes. Inside the tank I placed a 2300gph pond pump attached a pvc pipe (have to eventually paint black) and a ball valve that enters the top of the sterilite drawer system. The first top 4 drawers have about 100 1/8" size hole drilled in the bottom. The water flows through the foam and 50 micron sheet then rains down over the next 2 drawers filled with the scrubbies. Then water collects in the bottom drawer which has submersible media, the heater and the purigen then flows back into the tank. If the power cuts off the water just stops flowing with no chance if flooding. I still do my water changes twice a week and the 50 micron sheet every week. Which requires just pulling out a drawer change the sheet and close the drawer 15sec. I have 10 sheets so I wash them every 2 months when I run low on clean ones. The coarse filter pad I rinse bi-weekly 5min. And recharge the purigen once a month. Water quality is great and clear.

Sorry for the long post

I will appreciate any concerns anyone may forsee with this but 2 months in and I'm sold.
I'll also answer any questions the best I can. I still have a few fx5s in my shed just in case

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Tank is in garage. Had towel up there initially to check for leaks where the pipe entered the drawers but no leaks. Like I said I'll have 2 sterlite drawer systems for the 375 both set up the same way. This pump is more than powerful enough to move water through 2 possibly 3 drawer systems

20160806_155000.jpg

20160806_154932.jpg

20160806_154849.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have always liked the idea of using those types of plastic cabinets for a filter system and placing it on the top of the tank reminds me of those above tank filters that were popular in Japan.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I like the idea! Can never "overflow" like a traditional pump into that area due to gravity. Just out of curiosity why didn't you plumb your tank on the bottom of the tank due to you having two built in overflows already.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Never did a sump and honestly they scare the life outta me. Sump users always make them seem so easy but my 375 will be in a finished family room in the basement so the thought of over flooding on new carpeting would be disastrous. So I'd just rather stick to something that doesn't exceed my comfort level. This 150 is a temporary tank anyway and when I get the 375 the 150 will be sold

Also ordering the 375 non drilled

Reactions: tlindsey

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I had something similar years ago when I had a 180 and 120 stacked on top of each other. It worked great and easy maintence

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Never did a sump and honestly they scare the life outta me. Sump users always make them seem so easy but my 375 will be in a finished family room in the basement so the thought of over flooding on new carpeting would be disastrous. So I'd just rather stick to something that doesn't exceed my comfort level.
It's easy to design a sump setup that would be impossible to overflow. I did, and it was my first one. You just have to think the whole thing through end to end in detail before buying/measuring/drilling/cutting etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store