Triggerfish Experiment

mybikeisred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Seaside, CA
I have had 9 different species of triggers in a 100 gallon tank. I reccommend to introduce them all at the same time while they are still small. If you do add one, take out all of the triggers, rearrange the aquascape, put the new one in for 1/2 an hour, put the others back, then turn off the lights if they start fighting. Live food sometimes distracts them. This has been successful for me, but I have lost more than one. Always add the undulate last. They are the most territorial. They are shy, but mean as hell. Picasos are the most persistant, but usually harmless eventually. If you add less aggresive species like pink tails or blue throats, give them at least an inch on the others. They can still snap at any time with little or no warning. Keep them well fed, and sit back and watch the comedy.

hrdneglcry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Michigan
I own 13 Triggers. 9 are tanked together. I've got video of them eating in my photo bucket. All of the regular PICS are of the kinds of Triggers, and other fish that I own, but they are not my PICS, nor my actual fish.
Here's my photo bucket.
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/hrdneglcry/

hrdneglcry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Michigan
I am keeping 13 Triggers. I own 6 niger Triggers, One Black Hawaiian Trigger, One Undulate Trigger, One Clown Trigger, Three Picasso Triggers, and one Assasi Trigger.
I also own a Blue Spotted Grouper, a Sailfin Tang, a pair of Maroon Clownfish, 8 Bluefin Damsels, and a snowflake Eel.

phatPhish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Los angeles
Well currently, I have a 8" Picasso, 8" Sargassum and a 8" Niger living very peacefully together in a 180. They've been tanks mates now for 6 months.
In my 60gal I put a 3"Bluelined in and one week later added a 3"Golden Heart. The Bluelined immediately, vigously attached the GoldenHeart, so I had to quarantine the BlueLined, (60buck vs 250, what would you do?). Anyway, quarantined him for a week, let him out and they went at it again. Soooo, I took the Golden Heart out and put him the 180 with the big boys. Absolutely no problem at all. Well the 5" blue doesn't seem to like him, but the strangest thing is going on. When the Dansel goes to intimidate the GH, it seems the the Picasso runs over to protect him. And when the Picasso is doing his crazy thing (swimming up and down the side of the glass tank) the little GH seems to be imitating him. Maybe it's me, but it seems like the picasso has taken the BH under his wings (or fins). So now my real experiment is going to be putting a clown in there with the BlueLine. Has anyone done that? Also, to make things interesting I'm getting a Shoal Tang (Uwww), the same size as the Clown and the Blueline. "I'll report back....

vfrstephen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2007
Timbuktoo
I remember back in the late 70s i kept 3 triggers in a 48x14x18 with an undergravel filter they are one of the best fish to keep i had a picasso, undulate and triangle trigger. I now have an empty 48x18x18 maybe i might try triggers again just a bit of live rock and a protein skimmer or live rock and an eheim canister?

RayRay Conway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
NewportNews, Va.
i had a great tank full of nice fish 125 gallons queen angel, bluetangs,yellow tangs assorted butterflies, undulated trigger very small at the time and 2 niger trigers and of course the damsels lol all was great after the 1st yr then one day all my fish started getting killed. my undulated trigger must have snapped cause he killed everything in a matter of days. and now the undulated trigger has a 55gallon all to himself he is about 6 yrs old now at least i had him that long he was 3 inches when i bought him he is now over 12 in and i have tried many times to put him with other large fish in my 300 gallon but he tries to attack them after a few days so now he lives all alone. now ive had no problems kepping my nigers with other fish angels butterflies and tangs but as im told its all trial and error and i suggest u watch ur fish closely when u introduce any fish to thier home tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store