Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Very nice snake, is it yours? :)

thesnakeguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2010
Canada
...this is what they often do when they're telling you to "back off, or else", LOL...they also puff up their necks so that it looks as though they've swallowed a football...

Spilotes are also one of the fastest eaters in the snake world - it's amazing how quickly a small rat disappears with these guys!

Cheers!

Simon

thesnakeguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2010
Canada
I did get a clutch of eggs out of that breeding, but unfortunately they were infertile...

Maybe next year....

As to handleability of Spilotes, it depends on the individual snake's personality and the confidence of the handler - I notice that some folks just inadvertently make snakes nervous when they handle them, while other people are just "natural" snake handlers, it's kind of hard to explain.

Spilotes are generally a high-speed, nervous snake. They can be handled, but are very strong and quick. Mine don't tend to be "bitey", although they will give you a good head-butt - I had a cut over my eye from a head-butt from my big male once - I think that he may have tried to dive through my eye-glasses, thinking it was a hole in a tree...

In general, I don't handle them much - honestly, they don't really like it.

Cheers!

Simon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store