Trouble Breeding Albino BN Plecos

Bad Wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
New Jersey
Hello All,

I've recently acquired a pair of Albino BN Plecos. The previous owner told me they had spawned 3 times since pairing up but haven't spawned in over a year. If anyone has any insight as to why this happened or can give me some helpful tips to encourage breeding, please let me know. Thanks.

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Do you have multiple caves for them to chose from. Do you have other fish in the tank? Give more details about your setup

Bad Wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
New Jersey
I have the pair in a 55g, no other fish with driftwood and a few caves made from 2in PVC. I have only had them a few days, so I expect some time will be needed, but I find it puzzling as to why they just stopped spawning for the previous owner.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
They like a cave with one end closed. Male has to trap female. Diet could be reason they stopped spawning. Feed lots of zucchini to get them to spawn.

Bad Wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
New Jersey
Okay I'll give it a try. Thanks

cichlidmonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Terra
I've got mine in a 55 planted. They spawn every spring during stormy weather. They need a good place to hide to spawn in and raise their young. I wish mine didn't spawn, I can't even give the babies away.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Yep, agree with the previous posts. Once you get them a nice cave (closed at one end), they will breed very regularly. I have too many too, but it's fun to have em around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store