Trouble getting my baby Peacock Bass to eat non living food??? help!

YukonBlu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
United States
Hey guys, i have a baby peacock bass(1.5") and all he will eat is live food. I can not keep going to the pet store several times a week and getting him feeder fish for him to eat. When i do go i buy between 50 and 100 but the other fish in the take eat them too so they do not usually last more than one day. Please someone with experience tell me what to buy or how i can get him to eat non living food. One guy told me massivore.. is this really going to work becasue the only place i have found to buy it is online. What else should i try? Anyway... please help!!!

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Do you only have one in the tank? What are the other fish in tank? Bloodworms will almost certainly work because the other fish will take them and then monkey see monkey do for the bass which is my favorite way to get preds off live. Then try cut up tilapia and then massivore. You should get more than one pbass though. Hope you have a large tank.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

YukonBlu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
United States
Do you only have one in the tank? What are the other fish in tank? Bloodworms will almost certainly work because the other fish will take them and then monkey see monkey do for the bass which is my favorite way to get preds off live. Then try cut up tilapia and then massivore. You should get more than one pbass though. Hope you have a large tank.

Good luck

I have 2 Oscars, 2 Red Terrors, and 1 Jack Dempsey and a Peacock Bass. They are all pretty small and i have them in a 90 gallon, i am going to be moving to a 150+ soon so the tank size shouldn't be an issue. The monkey see monkey do has not worked so far. I have been feeding with freeze dried earthworms, and mealworms and cliched pellets. So u really think the blood worms will work better than what i have been using?

luscombe1959

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 11, 2013
Florida

Good luck

Why more than one pbass? Are there benefits of having more? And how many more...two, three? New to pbass and curious thanks!

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
At that size it has always been a real pain for me to get my guys off live food. I use shrimp to get them off live, get 12oz bag from walmart for $5, thaw as needed. What I did was when I fed live feeders I put them in a cup with water and poured it into the tank. This would make my pbass react instinctively. After a week or so (depending on your fish) he will become very excitable just from the site of the cup. Then start putting in the shrimp in the cup and pouring that into the tank, if all goes well he will instinctively eat it and eventually become accustomed to the flavor. If he does not take to it or spits it out try for a few day (2 or 3), if still no luck go back to feeders and start the process over. Once thats all good and well, you can even add pellets in the shrimp for some added nutrients. Mine have yet to take straight pellets though and theyre a year old and 12 inches.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Inch and a half pbass with an oscar at any size is looking for trouble hope oscar is pretty darn small or the pbass will be eaten soon. Oscars grow very fast.

If you go bloodworms it will eventually eat them then go to shrimp or tilapia.

Look better in groups

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Inch and a half pbass with an oscar at any size is looking for trouble hope oscar is pretty darn small or the pbass will be eaten soon. Oscars grow very fast.

If you go bloodworms it will eventually eat them then go to shrimp or tilapia.

Look better in groups
Pbass grow much faster than O's and are much faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store